Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bryanc28

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 7, 2007
Arlington, Va
I hate that my iPhone 4 has a recessed home button. My wife has the perfect, flush home button on her iPhone 4. Just don't feel like mailing it in, either (not close to any Apple Store). Is it possible to switch micro-sims? Do I need to call AT&T and tell them we changed our phones?

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
I hate that my iPhone 4 has a recessed home button. My wife has the perfect, flush home button on her iPhone 4. Just don't feel like mailing it in, either (not close to any Apple Store). Is it possible to switch micro-sims? Do I need to call AT&T and tell them we changed our phones?

Yes, you can. The only thing that will change is the IMEI associated with your account, which is automatic, the only issue would be popping into a non-iPhone but even then, AT&T will automatically adjust your plan if necessary, and it should work instantly. But again, iPhone to iPhone doesn't really affect anything.

mad-dog-one

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2009
The only problem you will encounter is when your wife realizes that you're swapping your bum phone for her good one.

bryanc28

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 7, 2007
Arlington, Va
Thanks for some of the, ummm, interesting replies...lol. I doubt I will be sleeping on the couch. I'm just worried if something happens to her phone after making the sim switches. She does NOT have a good track record with cell phones, iPods, etc...

wacky4alanis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009
It can't hurt to call them and tell them you made the switch. I don't know if it is necessary, but I can't see a reason NOT to do it.

OTOH, if you switch sims between an iPhone and a non-iPhone, I would definitely recommend calling them. My wife moved her sim card from an old dumb-phone to my old iPhone 3G, and it wouldn't let me add the proper data plan until I called them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.