Switch SSD MacBook Air 13" 2012

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by MiBook84, Jul 19, 2012.

1. MiBook84 macrumors member

Hi!

I got a MBA 13" 2012 with 256GB SSD and 4GB ram. I didn't custom order it and now a friend is about to order a 13" 128GB SSD 4GB from the Apple Store.

I am now wondering if it would be a very bad idea to customize that one with 8GB ram: 13" 128GB 8GB and then when it arrive, take out the SSD in both computers and swap them so they are:

256 GB 8GB, and 128GB 4GB.

I am not sure I will even notice the difference much since the SSD is already much faster than a traditional hard drive for virtual ram. Perhaps I should just stick with 4GB? I do some heavy work in Photoshop/Indesign etc so I would benefit from more ram.

Anyone who have done such a switch or have any thoughts? Thanks!

2. HenryHealy macrumors member

I might be mistaken in saying this but I don't think you can take them out.

3. MiBook84 thread starter macrumors member

Actually very simple procedure
    [​IMG]
    :)

4. HenryHealy macrumors member

What about the retina MacBook Pro then?

5. MiBook84 thread starter macrumors member

Most certainly as easy in that one :)

6. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

the ram is soldered down, but the SSD is not. I think the only way you could currently swap the SSD out right now is two have to macs, like the OP. They don't sell new air SSD's yet

7. MiBook84 thread starter macrumors member

Exactly. And what I want is to make my 256GB/4GB/13" to a 256GB/8GB/13" with the help of a 128GB/8GB/13" that I could put my 256GB SSD into, and then put the 128GB into my current machine. But I am not sure the logic boards are exactly the same, or the computers in themselves.

8. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I wouldn't see why anything would be different. The worst that happens is you try it and it doesn't work.

9. snow blind macrumors regular

10. MiBook84 thread starter macrumors member

I also think it will work. But sometimes Apple makes different logic boards or different quality components depending on which price-model you pick.

What I mean is that if I put my 256GB in the 128GB model, perhaps it has keys of another quality or a logic board that is not as good in some way.

I do think they are about exactly the same but I remember back when the iBooks were new that the more expensive models had a soft coating on its plastic snow white case where the cheaper 500 mhz model had a hard plastic case without the rubber coating. Such things makes difference for me :p