Switch Time Capsule to wired connection w/ iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MacJV, Dec 9, 2009.

1. MacJV macrumors newbie

I have a Time Capsule wirelessly connected to my iMac.

Since I've encountered some problems with backups because of intermittent wifi connection failures, I want to switch to a wired connection with an ethernet cable. I know I could fiddle with the wifi channels etc. but since the TC is just sitting next to my iMac anyway, I could profit from the higher bandwidth of a wired connection as well.

Two questions:
    1. What exactly do I have to do to make the switch? Are there any new settings I have to apply? Create a new network?
    2. Will I still be able to use the wifi connection to get on the internet using my smartphone?

Thanks!

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

1. You could turn off the AirPort in your iMac once connected to the Time Capsule via Ethernet. Just click the AirPort fan on your menu bar and turn it off. You don't need to do this as Ethernet connections by default have higher priority in the connections list, but if you're not using it you might as well turn it off (better for power consumption). You won't need to create any additional network names as those are only required for wireless connections. Wired connections don't require an SSID, password, or any other such security as it's kind of impossible for anybody to hard wire into your network without actually connecting a cable to your router.

2. Yes.

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I would do as skorpien suggests. It's what we do in my house. Im hard wired into the TC, everyone else connects wirelessly. I just turn WiFi off on my macbook.

4. MacJV thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks skorpien and stridemat!

I just plugged in the ethernet cable, switched off Airport and everything works like a charm :)

5. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

you guys are working too hard. there is no need to even turn off airport. though of course you can if you want but the computer will take the Ethernet connection over the wifi if possible.

6. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

+1

It will default to Ethernet as long as it hasn't been disabled. You can even turn your iMac into a router using Internet Sharing.

7. skorpien macrumors 68020

Anytime. Glad to help :)
    I've alluded to that in my post. I was just saying if you're not using it, you might as well turn it off. It doesn't matter much for iMac, but for portable computers it can make a big difference on battery life. It's less power consumption either way.