Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keaide

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2010
After enabling family sharing, we now have a new "family" shared photo stream that keeps appearing persistently, no matter how often I delete it. So since I can't delete it for good, we want to use it. But we already have a shared photo stream for our family. And we would like to keep it and its history... So what's the best way to switch to the Apple default one?
Can I merge the two streams? Or do I need to copy/import all exiting photos from the current one to the new one? Will that result in a further loss of quality (since photos in shared streams already seem to get automatically slimmed down by Apple)? Or can I delete the Apple's family stream and then quickly rename the existing one to "Family" without screwing things up? Or is it all a bad idea and we just ignore it?

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Can I merge the two streams? Or do I need to copy/import all exiting photos from the current one to the new one? Will that result in a further loss of quality (since photos in shared streams already seem to get automatically slimmed down by Apple)?
Shared photo streams limit the size (as in pixel dimensions) of photos. Copying the ones from one shared stream to another shouldn't result in a further reduction in size as the rule is not decrease size by x% but resize all to a maximum of X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.