Switch to AT&T from VZW

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sparticu$, May 31, 2013.

1. Sparticu$ macrumors member

Hi everyone,

I just got my iPhone a couple of months ago. I switched from Android, I have to say I wish I would have switched a long long time ago. Anyways my contract is up soon with VZW and I'd like to switch to AT&T because I get a killer employee discount. I have the VZW iPhone 5 can I activate it on AT&T and if I can will I be able to talk and use data and the same time?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

2. darster Suspended

Yes you can activate it on AT&T. However, it is not compatible with LTE on AT&T. You will be able to use it with their form of 3G. If I were you, I would sell the verizon iphone (since it is unlocked and worth more) and get the AT&T version or the unlocked GSM version through Apple.

3. CEmajr macrumors 601

You can use it on AT&T and talk and surf at the same time yes. You will not get any LTE on AT&T with the Verizon iPhone 5 though.

4. Sparticu$ thread starter macrumors member

Well that sucks is there any carrier I can use LTE on?

5. CEmajr macrumors 601

Nope. With the Verizon iPhone 5 you will only get LTE with Verizon.

6. Sparticu$ thread starter macrumors member

Will I be able to get 4G with HSPA or will I be strictly limited to just 3G.

7. CEmajr macrumors 601

8. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

How big of a discount?

I'd sell your VZW phone like the other person suggested if you want to get that killer discount on AT&T.

I get a 25% discount with AT&T and with 2 iPhones I find it hard to switch because of great service everywhere, and my killer discount.

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

Where I live (SE VA), it's not unusual to see AT&T's HSPA speeds test faster than Verizon's LTE speeds.

10. Sparticu$, May 31, 2013
    Last edited: May 31, 2013

Sparticu$ thread starter macrumors member

I already get a 25% discount through Verizon which is great I'm grandfathered in unlimited data for $80 a month. But for $30 a month unlimited talk and text 2 GB of data with AT&T it's hard to pass up. I really don't NEED LTE, I don't tether or anything like that.

----------

I used to live in SW Va (Roanoke) and all of my friends on AT&T had great 4g speeds not sure if it was LTE or not.

11. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Sounds like a good deal, I like what T-Mobile has been doing. I hope AT&T expands their bring your own device. I am on the 2GB data with AT&T and often I come really close. Haven't gone over yet, but I am sure in the near future I will need a 3 GB plan. :eek:

12. Sparticu$ thread starter macrumors member

Switch to AT&T from VZW

I looked at tmobile as well but it's 70 for unlimited 10 less than what I'm paying currently that's really not worth the switch. AT&T is the only network who can even come close to matching Verizon's 4g coverage.

13. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

You're walking away from unlimited data??? I'd say that's not worth the discount. iPhone 5s use a ton of data normally (I used 2gb or more on Verizon), and AT&T is really bad with overages. My boyfriend just switched his 4S to Tmobile because AT&T was charging him close to $100/month with a discount from FedEx. If it were me I'd stay with Verizon. You're incredibly lucky that you're still with the grandfathered plan. I used to be grandfather but was switched when we added an iPad to the family plan.

14. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Find someone to trade with you. Since the VZW model comes unlocked, I'm sure someone will jump on it and offer you their AT&T model, so you can get LTE.