Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sparticu$

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2009
Hi everyone,

I just got my iPhone a couple of months ago. I switched from Android, I have to say I wish I would have switched a long long time ago. Anyways my contract is up soon with VZW and I'd like to switch to AT&T because I get a killer employee discount. I have the VZW iPhone 5 can I activate it on AT&T and if I can will I be able to talk and use data and the same time?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
Yes you can activate it on AT&T. However, it is not compatible with LTE on AT&T. You will be able to use it with their form of 3G. If I were you, I would sell the verizon iphone (since it is unlocked and worth more) and get the AT&T version or the unlocked GSM version through Apple.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
You can use it on AT&T and talk and surf at the same time yes. You will not get any LTE on AT&T with the Verizon iPhone 5 though.

Sparticu$

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2009
Yes you can activate it on AT&T. However, it is not compatible with LTE on AT&T. You will be able to use it with their form of 3G.

Well that sucks is there any carrier I can use LTE on?

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
I'd like to switch to AT&T because I get a killer employee discount. I have the VZW iPhone 5 can I activate it on AT&T and if I can will I be able to talk and use data and the same time?

How big of a discount?

Well that sucks is there any carrier I can use LTE on?

I'd sell your VZW phone like the other person suggested if you want to get that killer discount on AT&T.

I get a 25% discount with AT&T and with 2 iPhones I find it hard to switch because of great service everywhere, and my killer discount.

Sparticu$

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2009
How big of a discount?

I'd sell your VZW phone like the other person suggested if you want to get that killer discount on AT&T.

I get a 25% discount with AT&T and with 2 iPhones I find it hard to switch because of great service everywhere, and my killer discount.

I already get a 25% discount through Verizon which is great I'm grandfathered in unlimited data for $80 a month. But for $30 a month unlimited talk and text 2 GB of data with AT&T it's hard to pass up. I really don't NEED LTE, I don't tether or anything like that.

----------

Where I live (SE VA), it's not unusual to see AT&T's HSPA speeds test faster than Verizon's LTE speeds.

I used to live in SW Va (Roanoke) and all of my friends on AT&T had great 4g speeds not sure if it was LTE or not.

Last edited:

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
I already get a 25% discount through Verizon which is great I'm grandfathered in unlimited data for $80 a month. But for $30 a month unlimited talk and text 2 GB of data with AT&T it's hard to pass up. I really don't NEED LTE, I don't tether or anything like that.

Sounds like a good deal, I like what T-Mobile has been doing. I hope AT&T expands their bring your own device. I am on the 2GB data with AT&T and often I come really close. Haven't gone over yet, but I am sure in the near future I will need a 3 GB plan. :eek:

Sparticu$

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2009
Switch to AT&T from VZW

Sounds like a good deal, I like what T-Mobile has been doing. I hope AT&T expands their bring your own device. I am on the 2GB data with AT&T and often I come really close. Haven't gone over yet, but I am sure in the near future I will need a 3 GB plan. :eek:

I looked at tmobile as well but it's 70 for unlimited 10 less than what I'm paying currently that's really not worth the switch. AT&T is the only network who can even come close to matching Verizon's 4g coverage.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA

----------

I used to live in SW Va (Roanoke) and all of my friends on AT&T had great 4g speeds not sure if it was LTE or not.

You're walking away from unlimited data??? I'd say that's not worth the discount. iPhone 5s use a ton of data normally (I used 2gb or more on Verizon), and AT&T is really bad with overages. My boyfriend just switched his 4S to Tmobile because AT&T was charging him close to $100/month with a discount from FedEx. If it were me I'd stay with Verizon. You're incredibly lucky that you're still with the grandfathered plan. I used to be grandfather but was switched when we added an iPad to the family plan.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Find someone to trade with you. Since the VZW model comes unlocked, I'm sure someone will jump on it and offer you their AT&T model, so you can get LTE.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.