Switch to AT&T now or wait for Verizon iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HuggyLowDown, Jul 17, 2010.

1. HuggyLowDown macrumors regular

HuggyLowDown

I've wanted an iPhone for quite a while now, but I have been a Verizon customer for the past years. But the main question is if I should switch to AT&T just to get the iPhone 4 or wait till it comes to Verizon, if it even is. Another question I have is what's the cost of the fees I must pay, activation fee etc.?

2. Phokus macrumors regular

Don't bother switching, AT&T's network is horrible. If you actually use your phones to make calls, steer clear.

3. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

^Ignore the troll above.

Obviously millions of US iPhone users are okay with ATTs coverage otherwise we would have left.

Best bet is to find a friend with ATT and ask how there service is. If it's good switch over.

4. PecanEater macrumors 6502

PecanEater

No one knows if or when iPhone will go to Verizon. You could be waiting a long time. Costs are about the same for a smart phone on either network. As stated above, the key is, if at all possible, to check reception in the areas you frequent using a phone on the network.

5. rans0m00 macrumors 6502

Check with people that you know with iPhones on At&t in your area and find out how the reception is... I am getting similar reception to my old 3gs but have death grip issues... If I had not sold my 3gs already I honestly would have switched back to it vs being locked into a 2yr contract on a phone that I could see giving me more issues but guess its too late for that unless I want to buy another 3gs (yes I'm addicted) :p My advice would be to wait and see how more of this plays out before jumping on. In closing in my city where reception is strong even with the noticeable bar drop during a death grip I still do not drop a call... Curious what is going to happen Sep 30th though...

In response to cost,fees,etc.... I think activation fee was around $33.... 32gb iphone4 $299... Considering your use and everything will be different from mine you probably want to go price up a plan on the att website... If you cant do it for the iphone4 just price a plan for a 3gs... Will give you a better idea than I can...

6. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Verizon iPhone likely not to exist before 1Q 2012 if ever.

So depends how long you like to wait.

7. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

I use both AT&T and Verizon, so I can have the most choices. I've used them both for years and see them as equals. I've always enjoyed great call quality on AT&T with a variety of brands. The only phones that are problematic have been iPhones.

8. rans0m00 macrumors 6502

Wondering why do you say 2012? Doesn't the exclusivity contract run out the end of this year? I would think Apple would be in a hurry to get it out to another carrier quickly assuming they have a suitable phone to release then.