Switch to Boot Camp - Worth the Effort?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Tonerl, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Tonerl Guest

I've had my 24" iMac for a year and have hitherto used VMware Fusion to run Windows XP Pro. Recently, I've begun to wonder whether I'd be better off (at least in terms of display quality) using Boot Camp. I'm in my mid-60s and my eyesight is not as good as I'd like, so the quality of Windows text on Fusion is becoming a problem.

Am I too late to use Boot Camp? My 500GB HDD (465GB formatted) has 375GB free. Are there any "gotchas" that lie in wait for an unwary oldie?

All constructive help gratefully received.

TIA

2. Catch Them macrumors regular

You should be fine to install it. thats enough space.
    it just depends on how much room you want for Windows.

id first uninstall Windows from VMFusion first...heard alot of issues with people installing it first and then trying to run bootcamp later.

First I'd make a clone/back up of your iMac harddrive using SuperDuper (free of course), then partition your harddrive to what ever size you think you may need for windows.
    Then run bootcamp installer, install windows, install the drivers and you should be good to go.

I havent used VMFusion much, but within windows there should be a way to have text size enlarged or even a different style (ClearType..which i think you have to enable within IE7 IIRC?)

hope that was useful.