Switch to Commuting at College?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MyiBill, Feb 28, 2012.

1. MyiBill macrumors 6502

Hi, currently I'm a freshman in college and come home every weekend so I only stay at school 3 nights a week. I was thinking of maybe switching to commuting two days a week. Now the thing is the school is 100 miles away from home so it would be about 3:30 hours of total driving two days a week. Does anyone think that would be unbearable? I'm pretty sure I would be ok with it. Commuting would save $45k over the next 3 years and would allow me to graduate with no debt. Anyone think it's the better idea?

2. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

It would not really work for you. Might be workable for a little while but it would quickly run into issue when you have group projects or study groups. Plus it will be near impossible to really format friendships.

3. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

If commuting 2 days a week would allow you to graduate college debt free, that's the way to go.

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, I think it is a good way to go and you will learn excellent time-management skills in the process.

Friendships don't necessarily require constant baby-sitting, especially if they are based around common, or mutual, interests.

However, while this will save you a lot of money over the next three years, I'd suggest that perhaps, - if stress and fatigue & endless commutes are getting to you - you allow yourself to reconsider your options and stay closer to college for the necessary days in your final year, as that is the year to spend money to cut down on stress, save time and maximise grades.

Best of luck with it.

5. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Try it for a semester and see.... You can always change your mind if it's too inconvenient.

6. MyiBill thread starter macrumors 6502

Ive thought about that but honestly 85% of students are commuters anyway and even the ones that stay leave every weekend so I don't really have friends that I constantly hangout with anyway. I guess thats part of the reason I wouldn't mind commuting. I think I will try it for a semester and if I don't like it change back.

7. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Problem is those other commuters are close enough to still meet up around campus for projects and study groups. It is not the commuting part that is the issue but the distance.

9. MyiBill thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess because theres really not much to do on the weekends and none of my friends back home went away to school so there all there.

10. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

I don't want to ask what school, but you may miss out on some of the college experience by commuting.

11. AlexH macrumors 68000

AlexH

I concur. Do what you can do graduate debt free. It may not be easy, but I would make it work.