Switch to Flash?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by guyducati, Sep 15, 2010.

1. guyducati macrumors regular

Well, I've had a portfolio website for about a year now, and I've gone through several different designs which I've made in iWeb. The problem with iWeb is that, you can make nice websites, but nothing that looks exceptionally nice. No matter what I do, it's still iWeb, and theres nothing fancy about it.

Here comes along Livebooks. I first saw it when I was on Chase Jarvis' website, and was impressed with how it looked. Normally I would say no to flash, but according to Livebooks, it's now compatible with iOS devices too. I'm also a college student so I could get it (The design + Hosting) for $100 a year. Do you think this is worth it? Or there are other better (or cheaper) alternatives?

Thanks for any input/help.

http://www.livebooks.com/

P.S. Also I'm an ARCHITECTURE student which means I have no life because I have a bunch of work, so don't tell me to just "learn" CSS or something. :)

2. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Might be worth looking at them as well (if you haven't already done so).

3. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

The livebooks homepage crashes every time I try to open it on my iPad, so I can't vouch for their iOS compatibility. Your thread title is misleading, since switching to flash will definitely not be iOS compatible... I assume they generate and host both a flash and non-flash version of your page? (probably answered if I could get to the site!)

Could you also get a program like PageMaker or a free equivalent to basically do what iWeb does, but with a different look?

4. lucidmedia macrumors 6502a

There are lots of portfolio sites online, many free...

Cargocollective is a site worth looking at... (http://cargocollective.com/)

also, indexhibit is a nice CMS designed for portfolios (http://www.indexhibit.org/)

both are HTML/CSS based... no need for Flash.

5. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Well, then you just have to live with what the products give you. And trust me on this: If you don't want to learn HTML/CSS, then you definitely do NOT want to learn Flash - the learning curve for Flash is MUCH steeper than that for HTML. Maybe you should just hire a graphics design student to do the website for you.

6. guyducati thread starter macrumors regular

Yea, I've looked at them both those templates all look like they're from 2003. I can do a much better job in iWeb

Hmm. I wonder why it's not working for iPad. Weird. Thanks though

Thank you very much for recommending CargoCollective. It looks promising.

Well with LiveBooks I wouldn't need to learn Flash...the end result just is Flash.