Switch to Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rjphoto, Oct 1, 2010.

1. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

Is it possible to switch the current 17" MBP to 10.5.

Don't ask why...

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Not really, it won't have the drivers needed.

3. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    why can we not ask 'why' - cos I'm sure as heck curious … … :rolleyes:

4. Hastings101 macrumors 68020

Hastings101

I'm kind of curious too :p, I mean I can understand going back to Tiger because of the friendlier looking menubar, dock, and finder, instead of the boring grey we've got now, but what's the point of going back to Leopard?

5. rjphoto thread starter macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

Knew you would be...

To much back story to go into. Boiled down version is there are some things missing in mail / address book relationship that this guy I'm working with would like to do...

I haven't checked yet, I'm just going on what he said he use to do in 10.5 and it doesn't work in 10.6.

Thanks for the help, though.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The earliest version of OSX is the one that your mac came with, so to answer your question, no you cannot install 10.5 on a current MBP

7. halledise macrumors 65816

pretty sure that SL behaves the same in all aspects of mail/addy book as did 10.5 - give it try cos the way I see it you've nothing to lose!

8. halledise macrumors 65816

I may well be wrong but thinking about it further, if you were to gain a copy of a 'stand alone' Leopard install dvd, you could try starting up from it and attempt an erase and install.

you'd soon know from the initial screens whether or not it were going to be possible.

if it will allow you to proceed - and of course you would have backed everything up to an external hard disc - you would end up with a basic installation of Leopard and would then need to hunt down iLife, iWork, etc, from elsewhere.

9. rjphoto thread starter macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

Getting the software is not a problem. I was hoping for a cut and dry yes or no. It's a brand new just out of the box machine.

Right off the bat, my friend finds something he could do in 10.5 that he can't do in 10.6.

He wants to drag an email address from Mail (an open email window) to a Group created in Address Book.

I've tried it on a couple of different machines with 10.5 and 10.6 with the same results. It works in 10.5.

I suggested a script, but I don't have any experience writing them.

This is a very important option for him to add newsletter request right from his email.

Thanks guys. If anyone has an answer, it will be the MR Gang.