Switch to LOGIN Window upon Sleep...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by whyrichard, Jan 6, 2011.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

Hello,

I would love it if my mac could switch to the login window upon sleep (or wakeup)... given the usage patterns of my laptop in my household, where someone uses the laptop, closes it, and someone else picks it up to use it, it would be the most streamlined way of switching between accounts...

The closest solution, which isn't quite right, is to require password for the last user account to be used... not exactly the best solution...

thanks,

r.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

System Preferences > Accounts > Enable fast user switching (check this)
    System Preferences > Security > Require password to wake this computer from sleep or screen saver (check this)

Then, when someone closes the lid, the next person who opens it is faced with a login screen. If it's the same user, they simply type their password and they're back. If it's a different user, they click "Switch User' and enter their username and password.

3. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

yeah, that is how it is set up now but its not as elegant or fast as being introduced to the login screen right away, at least for me since each account doesn't have a password...

thanks though,

r.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

To be introduced to the login screen without fast user switching, the previous user would have to log out.

5. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

To do it with fast user switching, just click the menu that is there when fast user switching is enabled and choose "Return to Login Screen" or something like that. That's probably the best you'll be able to do unless you can write a script...