Switch to Mac - Is Snapz Pro X a good Mac alternative to SnagIt?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mako5, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Mako5 macrumors regular

Mako5

I am 4 months into my Mac experience and loving it. I work in a large IT company that used to make PC's but now doesn't and so using Apple is gaining momentum. Being in Marketing and doing lots of presentations, one tool my team and I use extensively is called SnagIt. While it is called a screen capture tool, its real strength is the image manipulation tools are really simple and good. Many times we don't need to use Photoshop so the team uses SnagIt to capture the image, manipulate it like 3d, borders, twisting etc. I searched this forum and found a utility called Snapz Pro X. Has anyone had experience with it?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I've used it before. It's excellent for taking pictures, if the tools built into Mac OS X for this task don't meet your needs. The Mac OS X built-in screenshot function is WAY better than Windows, since it offers:
    • Capture Screen (Command+Shift+3)
    • Capture Area (Command+Shift+4)
    • Capture Screen to Clipboard (Command+Option+Shift+3)
    • Capture Area to Clipboard (Command+Option+Shift+4)
    • Capture Window (Command+Shift+4, then Spacebar, then click window)
    • Capture Window to Clipboard (Command+Option+Shift+4, then Spacebar, then click window)
    Snapz Pro X simply expands upon these tools, and offers movie capture ability as well.

3. Mako5 thread starter macrumors regular

Mako5

Does SnapZ Pro X have good image manipulation tools?

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I honestly don't know, since I never used it for manipulating screen grabs I took with it. I prefer other tools for this task.

5. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

The Windows version of Snagit is much better than the Mac Snapz Pro X. It doesn't have the polish that Snagit has. Check out Voila instead of Snapz for the Mac. It has some tools ( and some dumb tools too like "Spray") to modify your screen captures. I purchased it because I wanted to have a quicker workflow with preparing a screen shot to email. Voila doesn't do video capture though.

6. Mako5 thread starter macrumors regular

Mako5

Excellent I will check Voila out. I don't need video.

7. DLH macrumors member

8. sl1200mk2 macrumors 6502

+1 for Skitch

SnagIt is a very good application and there's nothing exactly like it for Mac (I use it extensively at work). For my use, Skitch is close in functionality and pretty elegant to use. Being totally free doesn't hurt much either!