Switch to next picture on preview?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Bilalo, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Bilalo macrumors 6502

Hello
    I wanted to ask, in windows when i open a picture I could press left and right to go to the next or earlier picture, in OS X I cant, is there anyway I could or any app I should download and make my default so that I could? Also on the harddrives or usbs it doesnt work.

Thank You

2. ElliottG macrumors member

Agreed this is very annoying coming from Windows...

3. xylitol, Nov 2, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2013

xylitol macrumors regular

If you don't want to select your pictures before opening them in Preview or Quicklook (spacebar), you might want to try JustLooking instead (it's free).

edit: I just realized that it's old as hell, but it seems to be working well with Mavericks (knock on wood).

Oh, and the old version of Xee (2.2) is also free and worked with Mavericks the last time I tried.

Both can be downloaded e.g. from Macupdate.com

4. bobbba macrumors regular

I think you can do this if you open all the pictures at once. Not quite as convenient as windows but workable.

The other option is to use quick look perhaps?

5. xylitol, Nov 3, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2013

xylitol macrumors regular

I did some research and testing on this, and Sequential happens to be very quick on my machine, so it is now my to-go viewer. And it's free.

edit: Sequential stopped responding, so to the trash it goes. JustLooking and Xee (old) are working fine.

6. Bilalo thread starter macrumors 6502

QUICKLOOK DOES EVERYTHING !!! Just select everything then press spacebar and that's it

7. xylitol macrumors regular

I don't want to "just select" before viewing, but nevermind, it's your thread. :)

8. D.T., Nov 3, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013

D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

If you’re looking a photo (or any type of file really...) in Quicklook (not Preview), you +can+ use the arrow keys to navigate to the next one without pre-selecting them.

The only caveat is it’s not “forward and backward” you use the arrow that corresponds to the next item in the type of view you have (so in an icon view, you can nav up/down/left/right but a list it’s up/down).

:)

9. xylitol macrumors regular

Good point. Fortunately Quicklook stays as another kind of default application, I just wasn't happy with Preview (I use it as my default pdf-reader, though).