switch to quicken for mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by alainr, Jun 5, 2008.

1. alainr macrumors regular

i ordered my first imac and am waiting for it to be delivered!
    i have years of data on quicken--law office and personal stuff. i read that quicken for the mac is not as good as for the pc.
    what are the differences?
    shld i buy the quicken for mac 2007? or stick w/my quicken on the pc and use boot camp? or buy VMFusion?

i read that is is hard to transfer the data.
    What about using quicken MAC for 2009 and onwards?
    thks. i have found this forum very helpful.
    sandra

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

3. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Quicken for Mac isn't even compatible with quicken for Windows.

I use iBank 3 and have been pleased with it.

4. Goldenbear macrumors regular

I hate to say it, but if you've got that much historical data, you're better off sticking with the Windows version of Quicken.

I've been trying to dump the Mac version of Quicken because of how disgusted I am with Intuit, but I've got too much data to transfer easily. One of these days...

5. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

From what i have heard, you would be better off purchasing VMFusion or Parallels and continuing to run quicken for windows. I researched at least 10 different accounting packages for Mac - they either don't have the functionality or you can't import your quicken data. I've also read that Quicken for Mac is greatly lacking compared to the windows version.

6. steeler macrumors regular

I used MS Money and Quicken on my PC before switching to Mac and haven't yet found a personal finance program that I like on OS X. Quicken for Mac is a nothing next to the Windows version. Now that I have an Intel Mac, I'm getting VMWare Fusion and running either Quicken or MS Money (I haven't decided yet and am not worried about historical data.)

7. operator207 macrumors 6502

Glad I found this post. My father uses Quicken, and has since at least Windows 3.1. He also has all the data from way back then migrated over and over. I gave him my old dual 866, and he loves it. He wants to ditch his PC, and use it exclusively. I told him I would just buy him a new iMac as a Bday and Xmas present combo. Now I am going to need to get him VMware Fusion (I use that for work), and not even bother with the Mac version of Quicken.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I just migrated from Windows to the Mac version of Quicken. It wasn't that difficult. Go to the website and get the guide for converting a windows file to mac.

I agree with others that Quicken for Mac is not as good as the Windows version, but I'm still using it.

9. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

If you only need occasional access to your Quicken data then the Mac version is ok. If you need the full functionality and reliabilty of Quicken that you're used to in Windows then you need to run it via Parallels or Fusion (what I use).

10. pprior macrumors 65816

I'm another user running parallels solely for the purpose of quicken.

Oh, how I despise intuit. And I can't believe with all the programming talent out there that someone hasn't come up with a mac program that is competitive with quicken. You'd be rich!

11. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Quicken 2007 for Mac is crap imo. I find 2008 for Windows a lot better.

12. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Wasn't there something about a bug in the new version of Quicken causing files on the desktop to be deleted or something only a few months ago. Seems that their solution was to deactivate automatic updating or something like that.

I'll have to see if I can find a link there.

Edit: Oh, I guess it was QuickBooks not Quicken.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-9834826-37.html

Strange that I seem to recall something about Quicken. But, perhaps it was QuickBooks after all.

13. DaveF macrumors 6502a

I use Parallels for MS Money 2003; I've been using Money since 1998. I too found there's not an adequate finance program for the Mac.

To the OP, I suggest buying Quicken Mac and see if it works for you. If not, use BootCamp or Parallels or Fusion and continue using your Windows Quicken.

14. macnvrbck macrumors regular

Quicken for Mac is CRAP. Don't waste your time or energy, it's sooo fustrating! I've tried and tried to use it and I still don't get it.

And I've yet to find money software for Mac I like... it's too bad, I loved MS Money when I owned a Windoze machine.

MS!!! Create Money for Mac! (Aint gunna happen)

When I get an Intel Mac I'll use my MS Money 99 on Paraells.

15. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

How does it compare to Quicken for mac in terms of functionality? I'm particularly interested in investment tracking.

16. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

Sounds like you are looking at a huge effort to either stay with your Windows version or move to a Mac version.

Have you considered MYOB?

17. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I cannot tell you how anything compares to Quicken for Mac. It failed so miserably to import my Windows data that I never used it. Quicken refunded my money and I threw the software away.

I don't do investment tracking in iBank, but I do believe iBank 3 has some features to support it. Check the website. They have a demo you can try.

18. lsteens macrumors newbie

Quicken 2009

Was able to transfer my data from Quicken 2005 from PC to Imac using XP Professional through VMFusion. The Mac version of Quicken was impossible.

Installed Quicken 2009 over the 2005 but can't get it to open. Any suggestions? Quicken says they do not support virtual installations.

19. macjillybean macrumors newbie

Quicken 2007 for Mac

I am a new user to quicken for mac. I used to use Microsoft Money and it worked fine. I am having a really hard time setting up quicken on my new mac......does anyone have suggestions because the apple store won't teach it?????

20. DeekinBlooz macrumors member

For me, the single biggest obstacle to switching entirely to Mac has been Quicken for Mac. It sucks - transaction matching fails, reconciling fails, interface fails, online banking fails.

So, I looked for alternatives. But after months of research, experimentation, and aborted purchases (of MoneyDance and iBank3), I have succumbed! :( I have just purchased Windows XP, Quicken Premier 2009, and VMWare Fusion. None of the other products were stable enough or provided enough features. Admittedly, I am somewhat biased, having been a Quicken user since the DOS days.

Now, I hope I get it set up smoothly, without surprises!

To Mr. Steve Jobs - Please buy Intuit and force parity between Quicken for Mac and Quicken for Windows. By the way, I'm okay with an interface differential so long as the features and stability are in parity, in case you care.:rolleyes:

21. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Steve Jobs fires off a note to the purchasing department... "Buy Intuit immediately".

One week later, Steve Jobs fires off a second note to the development team... "Make the Windows version suck as much as the Mac version".

Now, we're on equal footing :D

22. DeekinBlooz macrumors member

LOL! Awesome! :D

Thankfully, it would take a lot of work to downgrade the Windows version that much! On the brighter side, it would give MoneyDance and iBank more time to get more competitive. They are both decent products - either could be great solutions if given some time, development dollars, and some leverage with the banks. Maybe Apple could just by iBank and bring it up to speed!!!