Switch to rMBP from 2012 cMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mgf95, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Mgf95 macrumors newbie

I just got the 13" cMBP with 2.9 i7 this past weekend, so a about a 1 1/2 weeks to decide if i want to return it for the 13" rMBP. I mostly use my laptop for the web, office and java programming in eclipse with the occasional game (Black Ops). My question is how much of a drop off in speed/performance do you think there would be if i switched?

2. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Um did they forget the dedicated card? I think they did. :mad:

3. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

4. MaxPower72 macrumors 6502

MaxPower72

Another one falling for the Retina frenzy?!?!?!?
    I had your same MBP configuration bought in July and for what you do with it is more than adequate.
    You want to do something nice? buy an SSD and max the RAM up to 16 Gb. There you have it.

Here are the benchmarks with a Samsung 830 512 GB SSD and OWC 16 Gb RAM

Attached Files:

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

You'll lose out in gaming performance most likely, otherwise you'll gain in screen real estate for your programming on the go.

Depends where you place your priorities I guess.

6. makaveli559m macrumors 6502

Its a waste of money you can do a lot more on the classic than you would with a retina model, you can upgrade the RAM and harddrive or add an extra harddrive by taking off the super drive, you can do non of that on the Retina models. Not to mention on the classic you have a super drive and battery indicator and sleep and IR, also ethernet if wifi isnt available, all those options have been taken off the newer Retina models. A high end screen doesnt make up for the ports and optical drives that have been removed.

7. EwanMcTeagle macrumors 6502

EwanMcTeagle

Times are a-changin':(

Totally agreed. I have a high end 2011 model and I'm very pleased with it. It's a bit of a shame that I'd bought it 2 months before the 2012 model came in, but the spec difference isn't that big to be sorry afterall.
    As for the Retina versions (talking both 13 and 15") I think the screen is great, the thin&lighter form is great, but the lack of upgradeability & no ethernet (I know there is an adapter, but there's just something about being forced to buy adapters that pisses me off) are a conversation stoppers for me right now. I know that in time I will have no choice - I'm almost certain that when I'll be in for a new Macbook in 3, 4 years there won't be any classic MBP to buy. Furthermore, it's obvious they couldn't have kept the Macbook with the same design forever and gettin' slimmer was the next step, yet the closed system factor just sets me off a bit - maybe I'm just a '90s kid that's used to upgrading, adding new stuff to his PC to make it work better. Before I had the first Macbook had a 5 years old PC that I hackintoshed (OK, with a lot of help from someone who knows better:), added RAM, better HDD and it was flying:) Now with my MacBooks I’ve swapped and added SSDs and the 13" became basically reborn - it was fast before, but now it's amazing. And I love(d) that tweaking and improving. I hate the thought of being stuck with one setup and that all I can do is just turn it off and on.