Switch to SSD and optibay HD and time machine

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Germwise, May 7, 2011.

1. Germwise macrumors regular

Ok. I have it almost all figured out. I've installed my SSD, moved my home folder, added trim. shifted/installed applications.

Now my question is about time machine. I'm fairly certain I haven't accidentally deleted any files. Still, my time machine has lots of old version of file and things I'd rather not lose.

I took the chance of installing the SSD to reformat my machine and start fresh without a lot of the software that I didn't use so I never really did a time machine restore.

Should I just plug in my old time machine and keep using it for backups or should I start over? Will me having moved all my files essentially double them inside the time machine filling it up?

What did you do?

2. finder39 macrumors member

To the best of my knowledge (wich includes talking to apple support and looking around the internet for hours for a work around) you will not be able to just continue. The time machine now sees every file on your computer as new, and even if you do find a way to just keep the old files and back up new ones, it will back up EVERYTHING again (so like 100gb plus or however big everything on your hd is)

even after doing a restore from the time machine this happens, so its best to just start over, i have to do it every time too.

3. discounteggroll macrumors 6502

discounteggroll

just do a fresh time machine backup. Nuke the external drive, start time machine again and select the HD (with your home folder) as the only source for TM to backup. You could be backing up your SSD as well but I chose not to since it only contains OS files and applications.

4. uplusd macrumors 6502

When I installed my SSD in the optical drive slot and moved everything over (except my User folder which I left on the existing HDD) my Time Machine continued just fine. Granted the next backup took a long time, I didn't have to delete the old sparsebundle.