Switch to Verizon 4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rmafive, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Rmafive macrumors 6502

I currently have an iPhone 4 on At&T and I would like to switch to an iPhone 4S on Verizon. I would still like to pre-order my iPhone 4S through Apple on Friday morning, but is this possible since I need to port my number to Verizon. I am wondering if I have to buy the phone at a physical Verizon store. Does anyone know how I should go about this process? I also should add that At&T is giving me a free upgrade, should I take it and wait for the iPhone 5 next year to switch to Verizon?

2. kre62 macrumors 68000

You can do it all on the Apple site, including port the number over.

I'm debating the switch as well. Holding me back are 4G speeds on ATT plus talk and surf. Tough call.

3. aohus macrumors 68000

if youre going to switch to Verizon, might as well get that Nexus Prime when it comes out 10/27. Full reveal is next week Tuesday.

4. Rmafive thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow! I did not know you could port the number on the Apple site. Can I port the number after I get the iPhone 4S because I still want to use my iPhone 4 from the 7th-14th.

5. shikari89 macrumors member

shikari89

+1 on waiting for the Nexus Prime. I know its android, but it definitely sounds like its going to be awesome.

6. Texxy macrumors 6502

Texxy

Exactly what I was wondering, regardless the Apple site will be SWAMPED with people trying to pre-preorder so may not be best idea to try and port that day. I mean how do they know you have an update and sell to you for $200?:confused:

7. kre62 macrumors 68000

It wont switch it all over until you get and activate the 4S.

8. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

When you sign up for new service and choose to use your old number, Apple will simply be taking that number, putting it into the new carriers system and the carrier handles the rest. The actual port will not happen until you activate the new phone on the new carrier. So on the 7th you can definitely choose to port your current number over. When your iPhone arrives on the 14th and you activate it, the number will then become inactive on the old carrier.

9. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

It's the only option AT&T is giving its active, loyal customers -- I'm in!

10. K4LK macrumors 6502

K4LK

I'm going from a 3GS AT&T to 4S on Verizon. I'll be giving up an unlimited data plan but I live in the Tampa Bay area but can't even make a call from my house ... or the doctor's office or supermarket. Too many damn network holes. Sick of the dropped and failed calls.