Switch to Verizon, get new phone, pay the ETF fee -- how to?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Vercingetorix, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Vercingetorix macrumors regular

There's probably been a thread about this, but I can't seem to find it. I seem to have destroyed my iPhone 4 and want to replace it with a new 4S. For a couple of reasons I've decided to just pay the termination fee and switch to Verizon. Anybody know how this works? Can I just get a new Verizon phone at the Apple store and they'll take care of it? Or is there something I need to do with AT&T myself first?

Thanks!

2. Polo2883 macrumors regular

Just go to Apple or a Verizon store and port your number over to Verizon.

3. xorjo macrumors member

You need to call AT&T and tell them you want to cancel your contract, they will charge you the ETF. Buy the Verizon phone at anytime. Your purchase of the Verizon phone has nothing to do with AT&T.

4. kicko macrumors 65816

Dont quote me but i believe if your porting your number from AT&T to Verizon once that port is complete AT&T will be notified and the account will be cancelled. After that i would assume your going to pay your final bill and any extra fees involved.

5. jfulcher macrumors regular

Bingo. Anyone that says cancel your contract with AT&T doesn't know what's going on and you risk losing your number if you do this. Do the port with Verizon and your AT&T account will be auto cancelled.

6. aajeev macrumors regular

If my memory serves me correct, you would probably head over to Verizon first and tell them you want the iPhone 4S and ask them to pour the number over (make sure you have your current carrier account #). Basically what Verizon is going to do is take your old number and activate your number on their system, then they would have somebody call ATT and cancel your service and all. Once your service is cancelled ATT will then start the process and bill you the ETF.

At least this is how I did it when I switched away from Tmobile to Verizon. I didn't even visit the Tmobile store.

7. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Incorrect. Porting WILL cancel the contract. Verizon will have you sign some papers saying you want to port, want to close your account, agree to pay your bill with the other company etc.

8. Almy macrumors 6502

Definite port FIRST or your number will be "released out into the wild."

9. imeth macrumors regular

why would you switch?? isn't it $350 fee? also HSPA+ is better than 3G that can't talk and surf either...