Switcheasy Canvas, Devicewear The Ridge, or Devicewear Detour 360?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by ElDogman, Apr 9, 2012.

?

which case

Poll closed Apr 28, 2012.
  1. Devicewear The Ridge

8 vote(s)
    42.1%
  2. Devicewear Detour 360

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  3. Switcheasy Canvas

6 vote(s)
    31.6%
  4. other

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. ElDogman macrumors 6502

ElDogman

In addition to the keyboard, narrowed down my next case to these three as they are all the slim type that does not expose the inside of the flap to the ground in order to use in landscape mode. More importantly I've bought several cases that all ended up having non working magnetic sleep on/off features (despite claims that it'd work). so time for a new one

they seem pretty close, especially the ridge and canvas. the detour 360 has the ability to rotate into portrait mode, but not sure how often I'll use portrait mode on the table (i do use it for reading articles but I tend to hold that in my hand rather than on the table)

Devicewear The Ridge
    [​IMG]

Devicewear Detour 360
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Switcheasy Canvas
    [​IMG]

2. erawsd macrumors 6502

I have both the Canvas and the The Ridge. I def prefer the Ridge, the Canvas has some serious design flaws, that are the result of rushing the case out the door.

- There is no typing mode in the Canvas. You can sorta force one by laying it down but after two weeks the case loses its stiffness and it basically just sits flat on the table. The Ridge has a pretty good typing mode that protects the inside inside material.

- The "viewing mode" on the Canvas only works well in very upright positions. This is something that also gets worst as the material loosens up. It is especially bad on soft surfaces like beds. The Ridge uses a thin piece of plastic that fits into slots, and it works very well... I almost have to punch the screen with my fingers to unhinge it.

- Unless you clean the screen after every use, the Canvas leaves these annoying swirls all over the screen. The Ridge's velvet-like material seems to pick up a lot of lint, I haven't noticed it getting onto the screen but we'll see.

- One thing I give the Canvas big points for is construction. The Canvas feels like a high quality case. The Polycarbonite shell feels solid and the iPad is well protected by it, you also get the little covers for the headphone/USB ports. By comparison the Ridge feels cheap, the shell looks like a big hunk of plastic, the volume cutout is really deep and harder to access, and the front cover doesn't lay down flat because the corners curled a bit. Of course, the Ridge is $20 cheaper so I guess I should expect some material sacrifices to be made.

At the end of the day I think the Ridge does its job a lot better. However, I do have some issue with the construction and so I'm keeping my eyes open for the release Speck's Fitfolio. The Fitfolio has an identical design to the Ridge but I'm hoping the materials are higher quality so that I get the best of both worlds.

3. ElDogman thread starter macrumors 6502

ElDogman

Thanks alot for the reply. And yes it does seem that the Ridge and Fitfolio are similar, I wonder if one ripped off the other? Looking at Speck's iPad 2 lineup.. is the Fitfolio basically the Magfolio with out the magnets? theres nearly a $20 difference :eek:

4. batotman macrumors 6502

The new Fitfolio is supposed to be out really soon with magnets.

5. ElDogman thread starter macrumors 6502

ElDogman

how do you know? do you work for Speck? I know there's the product number out, but its been out for weeks and nothing appeared.

6. Philljp macrumors newbie

I just wanted to backup some things above. After owning the canvas for a few weeks the felt has worn down and the stand only works in the almost vertical positions to the point I'm going the have to send it back.

Now I'm seriously interested in the fitfolio.

7. ElDogman thread starter macrumors 6502

ElDogman

a question to you guys who own the Devicewear Ridge, Switcheasy Canvas, and the Speck FitFolio..

how resistant is your case against scratches and scuffing?
    the current case I have.. I generally keep it separate from other objects in my bag and stuff, but its still getting scuffs and small wear