Switcheasy Canvas wakes iPad repeatedly?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by coolbreeze, Apr 3, 2012.

1. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

coolbreeze

2. batotman macrumors 6502

Yeah, with every case I've tried on the new iPad.

3. mr.wiggles, Apr 4, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2012

mr.wiggles macrumors member

In other news, if you nudge the up/down switch on the car door, the window opens and closes.

No offense but two things:

1) what do you expect to happen when you move the case magnets out of alignment with the magnets on the iPad?

2) I'm not sure but after trying many, many times (with my current iPad) I have never heard such ticking sounds happening when I open and close any case with sleep/wake magnets. I even sat here with my ear basically ON the iPad while opening and closing both the Canvas and a smart cover and no such clicks exists.

When I move/squish the cover of the Canvas around in the manner you were, the only thing that could be heard every three or four movements was perhaps a little velcro separation.

I'm not a Switcheasy Canvas apologist (it has definitely got its faults) but this just doesn't seem to be an issue one wouldn't have with any other case using sleep/wake magnets and no latch to stop side-to-side movement.

4. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

No offense - but the ticking noise that the poster is speaking about when shutting off is turned either on or off in settings just like the tapping for keystrokes. I do agree that if you have a case that is only held closed by the magnets you will get some movement with the cover and alas the shutting off and on. There really are a few options - turn off the sound so you don't hear it, stop sliding the cover around when closed or buy a cover with a clasp or strap closure that keeps the cover securely closed with no movement.

I have the Griffin Intellicase and love it. Will the cover move around and affect the magnets? Sure, but only if I make it happen. Under normal carrying in one hand with the cover closed, I have no issues. Some other options are the Boxwave case with a strap which will ship next week or the Speck Pixelskin with a clasp that is supposed to be coming but who knows when.

5. mr.wiggles macrumors member

My mistake. I have always had that sound turned off and have long since forgotten about it. But I still remain in the idea that the behavior isn't abnormal. It's doing exactly what it was supposed to do in the event that the magnets are no longer in alignment. Who squishes their case around like that anyway? To channel the late Steve Jobs, you're just carrying/handling it wrong.

6. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I agree with you there - I typically do not walk around squishing my cover back and forth. I guess a person can find fault with any case. Personally my favorite is the Griffin Intellicase. I absolutely love the very slim form. Won't be much help if I have a big drop but I'm pretty careful with electronics. The Griffin suits my personal needs to a T. So much so, that I ordered a second one in white to go with my white iPad. Hopefully I should have it by the end of the week. Currently I have one of the original iPad 2 versions which fits the new iPad very snugly. The older version is also smooth whereas the new one has a textured cover.

7. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Actually a more powerful magnet would resolve that problem had they thought about it but it probably would have cost an extra 2cents to manufacture. I have a $5 Casecrown case made for the iPad 2 which I got off eBay for my "3" while waiting for the case I want to ship and I can slide it an inch to either side as well as lift up the cover almost an inch and the iPad stays sleeping. It is a 1/4" round magnet and is so strong I can stack up 3 single edge razor blades on it and they stick to it.

8. iToNe24 macrumors regular

iToNe24

i have the same issue with the targus slim case ... i agree its annoying ... leads me to believe a case with a clasp or some type of closure flap would be the way to go to prohibit the front cover from sliding back and forth to turn the screen on ... the hunt continues for the perfect case.

9. alau0115 macrumors regular

Maybe too much magnet force could trigger the on/off button when the front cover is folded to the back of the case due to the thickness or the material being used?

On another note, I don't experience what the OP has. I have two SwitchEasy cases and they work okay. The spine of the case is actually quite strong which doesn't allow much free play. So the OP may get a poor one or the case was handled too roughly.