Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AGIPSY

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
I can't decide which one to get. I currently have the Griffin Elan Form, which works well, but I'm looking to switch it up a little with a slightly thinner case. I also think I want a white case this time around. I also want good drop protection. Which one should I get? If you can, please explain why.

Thanks in advance!

reliantj

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2008
i'd say Neo even though i'd probably go for a Rebel.

they do add a little more bulk, but they have style and
have more protection as far as shock protection goes.
the rebel has more 'rubber' or whatever it is along with
the plastic cover corners. same goes for the Neo but
the rubber/silicon is only added to protect the iphone
from the case, but does offer more shock protection
than, let's say, the slider.

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
After a few weeks with the slider, it starts to scratch up your chrome when removing the bottom many times. Also it loses up between those points. I can feel it moving when I grab from there.

If you don't remove the bottom, then you should be fine. About the loosening up where the points connect on the top of the bezel, can't do much with that.

I kept my slider as a backup. But I'm now using the Capsule Neo... much better. :)

automatickyle

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2007
Montana
I have the slider and have loved using it, but I am going back and forth with the idea of getting a neo. The only thing that seems to kill it is that I cannot use the dock with the neo.

fandsw

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2007
Helena, AL
I have the slider and have loved using it, but I am going back and forth with the idea of getting a neo. The only thing that seems to kill it is that I cannot use the dock with the neo.

Which dock?? The Neo comes with the adapter for the universal ipod dock...

AGIPSY

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
After a few weeks with the slider, it starts to scratch up your chrome when removing the bottom many times. Also it loses up between those points. I can feel it moving when I grab from there.

If you don't remove the bottom, then you should be fine. About the loosening up where the points connect on the top of the bezel, can't do much with that.

I kept my slider as a backup. But I'm now using the Capsule Neo... much better. :)

what's better about it? does it just feels more secure? i won't be removing the sliding portion, seeing as i don't use the iphone dock. also, does the neo's switcheasy logo on the back make the phone less stable when lying flat?

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
what's better about it? does it just feels more secure? i won't be removing the sliding portion, seeing as i don't use the iphone dock. also, does the neo's switcheasy logo on the back make the phone less stable when lying flat?

Feels more secure than the slider. The condom that goes on the iPhone basically seals it from crud getting between the case and the finish. I don't see any parts of this Neo loosening up in time, like the slider.

I don't use the dock, I just use the cable since I'm in and out too many times during the day.

Logo makes it wobbly on the table, but I don't use the iPhone that way all day. When I get a call yeah it may be on the table, but for everything else, its always on my hands/pocket/case.

You can minimize the wobbly by laying down your Apple supplied cleaning cloth under it, if the wobbling bugs you too much.

BobboZR2

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2008
I had the Slider but the matte black finish was scratching of at places and it was starting to look like ass. I just got the Neo a couple days ago and it's awesome. Sure it adds just a bit more bulk, but I really fell like it's got more dust/dirt protection while retaining the sleek iPhone look. I have 2 Rebels as well but I like the lack of saggy rubber at the bottom. The Neo also has the cool power jack and headphone jack plugs to protect the phone even further from dust/dirt intrusion.

AGIPSY

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
I had the Slider but the matte black finish was scratching of at places and it was starting to look like ass.

i was planning on getting the white slider for just that reason.... if i get the slider that is

dauerhippo

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
I hav a black and white neo, in perfect condition. I CAN'T STAND THEM. It takes an F'in PhD in engineering to get the damn thing on.

If anyone want to trade something for them, PM me.

Zandian

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2006
I've had the InCase slider for my G1 Iphone and the Griffin faux-leather case for the Iphone 3G. The matte finish came off very early on with the Incase for the G1, and from the forum posts it appears it is also doing so for the 3G. I liked the Griffin case, but after awhile the faux leather started coming off. I picked up the Neo last week and I'm pretty happy with it. I think the rubber lining will help keep stuff out from under the case and reduce the likelihood of scratches. I think the case is pretty solid and well designed. Yes, it is a bit of a pain to put on, but once its on it does a great job of protecting the Iphone-even around what would normally be exposed areas with other cases. Again, the silicone lining really helps minimize exposed areas.

As far as the logo on the back being raised up and causing the phone to wobble a bit, I think it actually makes the phone a bit easier to pick up, and will likely help reduce scratches because less surface area is being worn when laying it down.

So far so good. I'm happy with it-and I'm normally pretty picky about these things.

Zandian

AGIPSY

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
I've had the InCase slider for my G1 Iphone and the Griffin faux-leather case for the Iphone 3G. The matte finish came off very early on with the Incase for the G1, and from the forum posts it appears it is also doing so for the 3G. I liked the Griffin case, but after awhile the faux leather started coming off. I picked up the Neo last week and I'm pretty happy with it. I think the rubber lining will help keep stuff out from under the case and reduce the likelihood of scratches. I think the case is pretty solid and well designed. Yes, it is a bit of a pain to put on, but once its on it does a great job of protecting the Iphone-even around what would normally be exposed areas with other cases. Again, the silicone lining really helps minimize exposed areas.

As far as the logo on the back being raised up and causing the phone to wobble a bit, I think it actually makes the phone a bit easier to pick up, and will likely help reduce scratches because less surface area is being worn when laying it down.

So far so good. I'm happy with it-and I'm normally pretty picky about these things.

Zandian

Thanks, your response is really helpful.

m98evolution

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2008
Both cases look great and are similar in size and weight. After owning both the black Neo and matte black slider I must admit that the Neo has the edge in protection. Also I noticed tiny scratches after using the slider. However, if you have the OEM dock or you like to remove your case often go with the slider. As for me, Ill be using the Neo for a while.

lorne17

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2007
Hello there,

I am VERY interested in getting the Capsule NEO but I am concerned that it will get stuck in my pocket and stick with the rubber center piece. Has anyone had an issue with this?

Thanks,
Lorne

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
Hello there,

I am VERY interested in getting the Capsule NEO but I am concerned that it will get stuck in my pocket and stick with the rubber center piece. Has anyone had an issue with this?

Thanks,
Lorne

That center piece isn't really pure rubber so you don't have to worry about it getting stuck in your pocket, the white NEO center piece though will stain, just a heads up.

Flyers18

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2009
I strongly recomend you get the slider. I had the neo in both black and white and they were terrible. The white one stained very easily and little bits of dusts gets caught beneath the clear frame and looks ugly. The black one had a bad fit overall. I switched to the gunmetal uncase slider and could not be happier. Not a single scratch on my iphone so far.

MacbookWoo

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2009
Tampa, Fl
This is classic!!!! I am in the same situation (well not anymore) Let me tell you I have owned the slider on 2 different occasions and dont get me wrong it is very snug and fit but it 100% DOES scratch the bezel and the back of the phone and it does not handle shock absorption when it takes a fall, "I am the king of getting out of the car and my phone being on my lap" I just ordered the Neo Capsule so I am very very interested in seeing how it feels and fits. Also I think you are getting a better bang for your buck with the extras the Speakeasy throws in with every order :))))))

Matty520

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Neo>Slider

I've had my Capsule for about a week now (ordered from ebay and got a free car charger with the new case for around $29 shipped...strongly reccomend doing this) but I love the case, best I've had so far (had Griffin Elan, Casemate Slider, Speck Candyshell)

Without a doubt the Slider DOES scratch the back of your phone, pretty much only where the two vertical pads are. Another bad thing is that the finish wears off after a while, I had the black matte finish and it wore away within a month or two, leaving the shiny black finish showing. It is a tight fit but IMHO the Neo is a better one and is much slimmer. It wasn't that difficult to put on, took me about 5 minutes to get it right. I didn't care for the screen protectors it came with so I put an anti glare on from the apple store (can be put on without taking the case off). Another nice thing about this case is the variety of protectors you can use with it - unlike the slider which will only accomodate the narrower ones. My only gripe is that the rubber "condom" you put on first does attract some pocket dust/lint where it covers the lock button. Apart from that it is very good looking, offers great protection (gotta love the two inserts to protect the headphone and connection port)

Sidenote: the Speck Candyshell is also a good case but costs more $$, scratches easily, and the small section around the docking port breaks due to the fact it doesnt leave enough room for larger plugs, which stretch/crack it over time

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.