Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

almostfamous

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2011
After reading this forum I'm pretty sold on the coverbuddy, but now I'm trying to decide on a smart cover/cover buddy color combo for my white ipad which should be coming in soon. i'm thinking the gray smart cover (cant afford a leather one) with the navy or clear coverbuddy or a blue smart cover with clear or gray. what do you guys think? i'm a little worried that the clear case might look a little "cheap" otherwise there wouldn't be a question.

Offshore6

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2011
For everyone with coverbuddy's, how are they holding up over time? I had a switcheasy canvas and had to get it replaced and ended up just returning it.

And for anyone with a green smart cover and a different color coverbuddy, can you post pics? I haven't decided what color I want yet.

mrt209

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2010
USA/Germany
For everyone with coverbuddy's, how are they holding up over time? I had a switcheasy canvas and had to get it replaced and ended up just returning it.

And for anyone with a green smart cover and a different color coverbuddy, can you post pics? I haven't decided what color I want yet.

I didn't like it to much at first because it seemed very slippery and a bit loose around the edges, but after having used it for a few months I really like it now. The cover doesn't feel too slippery any more, I've probably gotten used to it, and so far there's no signs of wear on the cover. I'm definitely happy I purchased the cover buddy :)

And I think black would look good with green :)

Offshore6

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2011
I didn't like it to much at first because it seemed very slippery and a bit loose around the edges, but after having used it for a few months I really like it now. The cover doesn't feel too slippery any more, I've probably gotten used to it, and so far there's no signs of wear on the cover. I'm definitely happy I purchased the cover buddy :)

And I think black would look good with green :)

Yeah black or grey is what I was thinking. I like the idea of clear, but with the glossy finish it seems like scratches would be an issue after a few months.

farme

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2011
I liked my Coverbuddy a lot, until about five minutes ago....

I removed it to "go naked" at home, and what do i see?
Around one corner (the one at the bottom of the smart cover cutout) the damn case left a pretty bad "rubbing" mark on my iPad....

It was not some dirt that was trapped there, since it's perfectly straight and parallel to the iPad itself, about a centimetre long and the exact same spot on the Coverbuddy is also "worn down". As if there was a little ridge and the metal of the iPad wore it down.
And it's not the sort of mark that will come off when cleaning the iPad, i've already tried it several times by now, and it's no scratch either.

Thanks for nothing Switcheasy.....
I mean i'm fine if scratch the damn thing myself, but coming from the very thing you bought to protect it......:(

(yes, i'm pretty angry......:mad:, so take my statement with the proverbial grain of salt....)

PS: When i get my hand on a camera i will try to post pictures as well.

Last edited:

farme

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2011
Thanks for your advice. This is their (Switcheasy Europe that is) reply:

Very sorry to hear about the rubber mark of your iPad 2.

It's very strange as the area of the CANVAS case you're
speaking of is made from Polycarbonate which in all our
experience of products made from this type of material
we've never heard of such an issue.

I think that as it is a mark that you're able to wipe it off
the metal with some ease.

Again sorry for any inconvenience.

I just highlighted two passages which show that they didn't really read my inquiry...
First of i did mention that the marks came from the Coverbuddy "rubbing" against the iPad (not rubber marks),
and secondly, i haven't said a word about the Canvas.....

farme

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2011
Now with picture:

6z22jb.jpg

And the full size picture:
http://i53.tinypic.com/2148llg.jpg

Poder

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2010
Hello,

I have the same mark from the Nude case. I think it happened when I removed the case, which I found difficult to do. The Nude (and I presume the Cover Buddy) has sharp lips all around the bezel. It is easy to clip on but off is another story.

Needless to say I trashed the Nude. What a paradox that something made to protect, hurts.

Last edited:

Xultar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2010
Now with picture:

And the full size picture:
http://i53.tinypic.com/2148llg.jpg

WHEW. No rub marks on mine. When I saw your pix I decided to take my cover off for the first time. It has been on there since the coverbudy started shipping. I don't remember how long that is at least 3 months.

Anyway the only place I have a mark and it is pretty tiny is from the smart cover.----scratch that...Pun intended. I just used a little eyeglass cleaner and a microfiber cloth and POOF! No marks or scratches at all. Looks like new!

I love my black Switcheasy Coverbuddy!!!

Last edited:

farme

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2011
Hello,

I have the same mark from the Nude case. I think it happened when I removed the case, which I found difficult to do. The Nude (and I presume the Cover Buddy) has sharp lips all around the bezel. It is easy to clip on but off is another story.

Needless to say I trashed the Nude. What a paradox that something made to protect, hurts.

The answer from Switcheasy was, that there is no way that the material of the case could have done that, and that the case had nothing to do with that at all. No excuse, no empathy, nothing, just legal mumbo jumbo......

Even confronted with the evidence (i mean a freaking straight line, right under the case, at the right place so that the case could be the culprit, but noooo, of course the case could have not possibly done that....) they remain firm in their view.

And just to clarify, i never asked them anything remotely in the way of "hey, i want a new iPad", only wanted an answer how this could have happend.

CharlesMc

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2010
I like the cover buddy.

I have used the cover buddy for a week now and really enjoy it. The feel of the iPad withe the cover buddy and smart cover on is very sturdy.

rockametrics

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2010
Just got clear cover buddy today. Really like the feel and it doesn't add a lot of weight. I will watch to see if it marks up the iPad.

Enjoylife1788

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2011
Hey guys, I somehow feel that it's adding a lot of weight. Like it fee,s much heavier than before. I only had smart cover before getting cover buddy...

So have they mentioned the exact weight of the case anywhere??

Edit: they have not mentioned on their official website. Neither has any one mentioned in any reviews on numerous forums.

Last edited:

mrt209

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2010
USA/Germany
Hey guys, I somehow feel that it's adding a lot of weight. Like it fee,s much heavier than before. I only had smart cover before getting cover buddy...

So have they mentioned the exact weight of the case anywhere??

Edit: they have not mentioned on their official website. Neither has any one mentioned in any reviews on numerous forums.

It doesn't feel heavier for me, but take it out of the case and see if you feel a big difference... I guess its subjective.

RossMc

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2010
Newcastle, UK
The Coverbuddy comes with dock/headphone jack protectors now. Just received the new dark grey one to match the updated smart cover colour.

c7da5c66.jpg

cfairbank

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2006
Coverbuddy arrived yesterday and I am very happy with it. Have been using an otterbox defender most of the time and wanted something that brings back the from factor but still offers some protection.

Picked up an incipio smart feather and liked the style but hated the fact I could not remove the smart cover without taking off the case. The coverbuddy solved bat problem for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.