Switcheasy NUMBERS vs Odyssey vs Tones for stealth black 5S

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by giggles, Oct 23, 2013.

1. giggles macrumors 6502

So, as a big fan of Switcheasy Eclipse and Glitz in the 4/4S generation, I'm planning to buy yet another dual material protective Switcheasy case for my yet-to-buy space gray 5S.

The Tones is already a classic from last year but there's something weird (to me) about the mute switch cutout. Also, the "black" one apparently isn't black enough for a "stealth black" 5S build. (a user here had to dye it to make it blacker)

The NUMBERS is endorsed by a couple of sites (the wirecutter, ilounge, gadgetmac) but I can't find any opinion from actual users (maybe a few on amazon) or youtube reviews (weirdly). I find the non-descript unibody design to be a plus, but I'm afraid that the lack of a rigid second material could result in it being slightly too loose.

As for the Odyssey for 5/5S, there's literally no acknowledgement of its existence outside of SW site. (and a short lived "have you seen?" thread here) Doesn't help that the 5/5S Odyssey is a complete departure from the 4/4S Odyssey build-wise, they just vaguely share the aesthetics of the back but that's it, so it's not like one can rely on the old Odyssey youtube videos to understand what this case is about.

So, has anybody any impressions to share about the NUMBERS or the 5S Odyssey?

Couple of pics follow.

NUMBERS:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Odyssey for 5C (can't find any pics of the 5S version):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tones for 5/5S:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(credits to iLounge for all the pics)

2. Kisey macrumors 6502a

I'm a fan of cases with integrated port covers and am interested in the numbers case by Switcheasy. Let me know if you end up finding additional user reviews.

3. giggles thread starter macrumors 6502

This just in: a new improved Tones (called Tones2 on their online store, and just Tones on the main site) popped out on Switcheasy site

http://www.switcheasy.com/product/TONES-for-iPhone-5-and-5S

now with integrated port covers.

Still I don't like the shape of the mute switch cut out.

Tomorrow my black NUMBERS should come in the mail.

4. giggles thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, my NUMBERS has landed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks nice, overall a nice ninja black iphone 5. I like it being completely "featureless" on the back, just plain sleek (lightish, being translucent) black.

It's harder than a switcheasy COLORS but softer than a dual-material switcheasy (eclipse, tones, glitz,..). I expected it to be just a tiny bit harder, but it fits quite snuggly nonetheless. Just don't expect a super hard/snug fit like on more rigid dual material switcheasy case (in which the polycarbonate hard part gives a harder/tighter feel to the whole case).

The 12mm case manages to keep the phone quite slim. The texture was a bit "dusty" (and smelly) when I first unboxed it, I swiped it with alcohol and it feels definitely better.

Volume buttons are hard to press, forget about using them to take photos. That can be a big downside. Never experienced something like that on my previous switcheasy cases. What a disappointment. I hope they soften up a bit with time at least. Nothing to complain about the top button.

Port covers are nice but you gotta have nails to open them every time. Still not sure how I feel about integrated port covers in general. They look super nice though, compared to free cut outs.

Paid 18€ shipped (15€+3€) from switcheasy european online outlet, a good deal by any means. Not sure how this compare to the black Apple leather 5/5s case, but for starters it's half the price.

5. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

I got the Numbers and didn't like it at all. The buttons were hard to press and weren't lined up correctly on the phone. The left side of the case also didn't wrap around all the way. There was a slight gap. Really weird for a Switcheasy product. Maybe I just got a bad one.

6. giggles thread starter macrumors 6502