Switcheasy RebelSerpent case - Does it scratch the phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Mojobaggins, Jul 11, 2009.

1. Mojobaggins macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I'm looking at purchasing a Switcheasy RebelSerpent and was wondering if this case scratches the iPhone?

Based on some comments on the front screen protector that comes with it, I'm thinking I would also order the bestskinsever Total Body Skin with Simple Back? Good idea and will it fit? I'm thinking the combination of the two will protect the phone from scratches but also drops while still keeping things minimal.

Thanks for any comments!

2. astudentis macrumors regular

whats wrong with the screen protectors it comes with?

3. Mojobaggins thread starter macrumors newbie

I've read a few comments that it tends to bunch up at the corners with the case on, creating bubbles.

4. V4705 macrumors 6502

thats the problem with every flexy case, the sides moving a bit and can push the screen protector.
    personally, i'm using power-support's screen protector and its the shortest screen protector i know, but its still have a little bit bubbles on the sides from some case (i dont know who exactly).

5. astudentis macrumors regular

Ah okay, but it doesnt necessarily cause scratches...

Any screen protectors would bubble up with come cases, i.e. incase slider, in essence cases that attempt to cover the chrome.

I have the white rebel, and it seems very nice in the hand. The inner plastic skin is nice an smooth from the inside and when putting that one or taking it off, since its not a slider type design, it wont cause scratches. Drop protection seems excellent... the corners have the harder spine covering it. It also has a nice lip above the chrome to give it a "lay on the table design"... dropping it face first might protect the screen... but i wouldnt count on it (unless you specifically protect the screen with some hard plastic too)

Overall, I am quite satisfied with that Rebel (not the serpent... but same thing with a different spine)

6. Nickel Dime Bay macrumors regular

The rebel scratched the CRAP out of my chrome at the bottom, im so heated.

7. AUSTRALIAN macrumors newbie

Got any pics??? I just ordered this case :confused:

8. akarmenia macrumors member

akarmenia

Same here. Which one did you use? I have the serpent black and due to the sagging it has scratched the bottom.

9. eron macrumors 6502

I lost the bottom dock connector cover/protector. Then the bottom started to sag, so it scratched the bottom bezel.

Now I have an innocase, and it rocks.

10. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

First - the CASE, made of plastic, cannot scratch the harder material of the iPhone.
    Second - abrasive material (fine particles of sand, metal fibers, etc.) between ANY case and the phone can cause scratches
    Third - I've always been amused by people who cover their phones, and then complaint of scratches. The cover hides the scratches. If you don't want to scratch anything - place it in your bank lockbox and never use it

P.S. I love my Rebel Serpent case - it allows me a better grip on the phone and protects my phone from minor dings, serious scratches, and falls (which is what it is SUPPOSED to do)

11. akarmenia macrumors member

akarmenia

Here here! I suppose it would get scratched anyway without a case. I still want mine replaced. Maybe there is something in the warranty about the case not causing damage to the phone during use, unless caused by the owner.

12. akarmenia macrumors member

akarmenia

Got the case

Hi guys,
    I got the case in like a week to Australia so I am very happy with shipping. Also, they sent me the new rebel black case for my serpent. This has the new 4 injection points and there are no imperfections on the inside of the shell like before. Also, there is a difference in the material. The old case seems to be more rubbery and grips. The new one is smoother and a little harder. The bottom does not sag to my knowledge. Switcheasy did not send me a new case, only a new shell. One thing I noticed was that this one fits much better. The old one was being pushed up by the spine and causing bubbles around one side. This no longer occurs. Also, I can see hardly any metal from the iPhone near the bottom, which was problematic in the previous model. Also, the spine I used with my old serpent case is now protruding a mm or two above the case, whereas before it was sitting inside the indents of the shell perfectly. I suspect this is due to the fact they have added to the thickness of the indents to increase durability. In my case, this adds more grip, looks just as nice, and I don't have to worry about the bottom tearing during installation. And one more thing, I can now feel the volume and power buttons clicking, so the shell around them must be thinner. Very happy with the improvements.

13. Synthetickiller macrumors regular

I use the included screen shield. I can't even tell it's on honestly.

I have no issues with it.

I am using a white serpent and I have two issues.

First, the white silicone turns a yellowish tinge. The hard plastic is still very white.

Second, the lower lip of the case is sagging. If you end up pulling the phone out of your pocket by grabbing the bottom, it'll sag

I am not happy with it due to these two factors. If you're getting the black, then there's no issue.

I can't recommend the case if those are serious issues.

Btw, my case has no scratches.

14. akarmenia macrumors member

akarmenia

Have you tried to get it replaced? Check the outer part of the shell by taking off the spine. In the indented holes where the spine sits in place you should see injection points where they pour in the mixture. If there are two in the centre it is the old model, contact switcheasy and get it replaced with the new one.

15. 3GROC macrumors newbie

I emailed switcheasy about the sagging issue. I Got mine replaced almost 1 year after owning it. Great company. sent me a new rubber part.

I never got a scratch from this case.

16. Nickel Dime Bay macrumors regular

Same, serpent black.