Switcheasy Tones or Candyshell flip?(or other suggestions)

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by spybenj, Nov 2, 2012.

1. spybenj macrumors member

Hey,

I had an iskin aura 2.
    It broke once, so the store I bought it from replaced it, but then it broke a second time so they gave me a refund.

I want to get a new case, as my phone's currently naked!

I have a black iPhone 5.

I'm currently looking at the Candyshell flip, or the switcheasy tones.

I'm open to other suggestions as well(the dualtek looks decent, but I'm not sure how thin it is).

So, what should I get? And what colour(not a typo, I'm from Canada :))

2. tmgarvey macrumors member

Both cases are nice. The Speck seems more shock absorbent but it is bulkier. So far I like the Tones case, because of its slimness, a bit more. Also, the Speck's shiny finish scratches a LOT more easily than the textured plastic of the Tones case.

3. spybenj thread starter macrumors member

I hear the tones is pretty hard to take off, and that the lightning port doesn't off any leeway.

So the pros of the case outweigh that? Like in your opinion.

4. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I haven't tried the Speck for my iPhone 5 but had one for the 4S. The Speck is definitely bulkier and will offer more protection but I think the Switcheasy case is a much better case overall.

- The Tones case is not easy to just pull off but not that bad - I switch up between cases all the time with no issues and no scratches.
    - Tones is slimmer with a great feel in your hands. Gives protection but not too bulky.
    - Tones doesn't scratch. The plastic on the Speck was terribly scratched in less than a week worth of use for my iPhone 4S. Not sure if they corrected this or not.
    - Tones catches on the bevel so no interference with a screen protector.
    - Lightning port is close on the Tones but works perfectly. Won't work with the Lightning converter but neither will the Speck. Also the speaker cutouts are much better on the Tones than the Speck.

- Speck had problems in the past with the rubber part rubbing off like eraser turds. Not sure if that's been corrected. No such problem with the Tones. Tones is quality design and workmanship all the way around.

5. spybenj thread starter macrumors member

To your third last point, and the reason I'm not sure about this, you can always just flip the bottom of the candy shell, which will then allow every adapter/cable to work

6. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

Aha, I didn't realize the Candy Shell flipped. Should have noticed that by the name, duh.