Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vito

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
Manchester, UK
Would appreciate it greatly if those with the SwitchEasy Tones can chime in with answering some questions I've got :)

1) Does it work okay with the GLAS.tR?
2) Is it easy to remove?
3) Has it caused any scratching, specifically on the back or the delicate iPhone rim?
4) Finally... Does the bottom part near the home button "sag"?

Thanks very much! :D

AndroidBlows

Suspended
Oct 29, 2012
This case is highly over-rated.

It has play near the speaker holes (loose) and is just not worth the $35 I paid in my opinion.

I sold my Burton Prince of Wales (horrible grip and hard plastic inner will scratch a black i5)

I cannot believe Speck made the inner a hard plastic for their new cases. Totally lame.

Waiting on a UAG black.

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
Would appreciate it greatly if those with the SwitchEasy Tones can chime in with answering some questions I've got :)

2) Is it easy to remove?
3) Has it caused any scratching, specifically on the back or the delicate iPhone rim?

1) I think it should, it doesn't come over my SPG screen protector so unless the Glas.tr is bigger then you should be fine. I thought the glas.tr was the same size and just thicker but I haven’t used one so I don’t know.
2) Its not that hard to remove especially after removing a Poetic Atmosphere
3) Has not scratched my black 5 but when I took it off I noticed some dust had gotten in the case so it could happen if you don't take the case off and clean often. I do this with pretty much all my cases anyway.
4) My case fits perfect. No sag

Overall I think the Tones case is pretty solid. I do prefer the feel of the Poetic Atmosphere but the Tones case does look pretty good.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
Tones is a nice combination of protection and thin form factor. No scratches so far. Not hard to put on and take off. Really thin for the amount of coverage it provides.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
It is easy to remove and offer fairly good protection. If you pull the bottom area with your finger, it does sag a bit (but not by itself). That said, the black paint around lens area is wearing out, leaving messy black stain on my pants pocket.

----------

It has play near the speaker holes (loose) and is just not worth the $35 I paid in my opinion.

I sold my Burton Prince of Wales (horrible grip and hard plastic inner will scratch a black i5)

I cannot believe Speck made the inner a hard plastic for their new cases. Totally lame.

Waiting on a UAG black.

TONES is made by SwitchEasy not Speck and the case retails for $25, not $35.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire

2) Is it easy to remove?

1. No issue with any screen protector as it catches on the bevel and not the top of the glass.

2. I put it on and take it off switching between the Tones and Noots cases. It's snug without a lot of flex so I wouldn't say it is easy to take off but really not that difficult.

3. I have the white iPhone and have had no issues with any scratches from this case.

4. I've not really seen the dreaded sag. If you do see it a bit, put some rubber bands lengthwise for a couple hours before putting the case on your phone and you'll have a tight fit with no space or sag.

AndroidBlows

Suspended
Oct 29, 2012
It is easy to remove and offer fairly good protection. If you pull the bottom area with your finger, it does sag a bit (but not by itself). That said, the black paint around lens area is wearing out, leaving messy black stain on my pants pocket.

----------

1. I paid $35 (yes I was ripped off) - retail prices are never set in stone, genius.

2. I never said Speck made the SET, did I? I was commenting on my unhappiness with the Burton case I bought in the same sentence.

3. Learn reading comprehension.

4. The Tones case is over-rated.

vito

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
Manchester, UK

Waiting on a UAG black.

It'll be around that price here in the UK, ~$36

I'm usually quite fond of Speck but wanted something thin this time around.

1) I think it should, it doesn't come over my SPG screen protector so unless the Glas.tr is bigger then you should be fine. I thought the glas.tr was the same size and just thicker but I haven’t used one so I don’t know.
2) Its not that hard to remove especially after removing a Poetic Atmosphere
3) Has not scratched my black 5 but when I took it off I noticed some dust had gotten in the case so it could happen if you don't take the case off and clean often. I do this with pretty much all my cases anyway.
4) My case fits perfect. No sag

Overall I think the Tones case is pretty solid. I do prefer the feel of the Poetic Atmosphere but the Tones case does look pretty good.

Thanks for taking the time to answer all of my questions! :D

I had a gift voucher so only paid £15 for the GLAS.tr so wanted a case to use it with.

Quite like the look of the Atmosphere, how did you find it?

The back of the iPhone will be okay it's just that delicate shiny rim which causes me to think twice about snap on cases.

Tones is a nice combination of protection and thin form factor. No scratches so far. Not hard to put on and take off. Really thin for the amount of coverage it provides.

Yea, I really like the thinness of the design, got the word "thin" drilled into my head by Apple I suppose! :D

----------

Ahh so as long as it doesn't get caught on getting it out of my jeans pocket it should be fine then.

I can post answered to some of your questions tomorrow. Mine is at home in the mail waiting for me.

Brilliant, thanks, will appreciate your input.

1. No issue with any screen protector as it catches on the bevel and not the top of the glass.

2. I put it on and take it off switching between the Tones and Noots cases. It's snug without a lot of flex so I wouldn't say it is easy to take off but really not that difficult.

3. I have the white iPhone and have had no issues with any scratches from this case.

4. I've not really seen the dreaded sag. If you do see it a bit, put some rubber bands lengthwise for a couple hours before putting the case on your phone and you'll have a tight fit with no space or sag.

That's perfect to hear, the GLAS.tr should work with it just fine in which case.

Glad to hear of no scratches, I think as with all cases it's a good idea to clean them inside every few weeks, what do you think?

With regards to the sagging it was mentioned on a YT review so wanted to get that clarified, he mentioned about taking it off was a difficult job but the comments here suggest otherwise, hence why I appreciate all of your input.

I do like the look of the Power Support Air Jacket, decisions decisions!

Thanks everyone!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.