SwitchEasy Torrent - Black or White? (**Added a mini-review)

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by xStarchildx, Jun 2, 2010.

1. xStarchildx macrumors newbie

I've made my mind up to get the SwitchEasy Torrent case for my black 3GS. I'm just not definite about which color should I go with so here are a few questions I have:

a) which color shows more scratches?
    b) which color shows more dirt?
    c) which color shows more fingerprints?

I think the black is better in these aspects, but since I have a black iPhone I kind of want to get the white one to diversify.

Please give me something to help me decide ;)

Edit: I got the black one. Scroll down for a mini-review (based on a few days of use)

2. alamperti macrumors member

alamperti

@xStarChildx i've tested the black SwitchEasy Torrent I confirm it gets some marks on the Lexan I-Clip and fingerprints, too. The internal shield is made with soft rubber it doesn't collect too many lints, tough :)

3. xStarchildx thread starter macrumors newbie

After I saw the white one in person I got the black one. The white one looks pretty horrible actually. Black is awesome. Love that case. Looks nice, face down protection, lots of goodies (screen protectors were kind of dumb, why put stickers on them that mess them up and leave glue marks??), not too thick/doesn't add a lot of bulk, Good and snug fit, and the combination of the materials: waves on sides are some sort of hard plastic/polymer - good grip, polycarbonate part (i-clip) looks cool, though it's somewhat prone to scratches and fingerprints, and the inside/part that is beneath the i-clip seems to provide great protection and a snug fit.

Only major downside for me is the logo which sticks out, so it sort of wiggles when you lay it on its back. At least it has a good lay-on-the-table design (faced down).
    Also the volume & power buttons aren't very tactile. It's not that it's hard to press them, but you might find yourself changing the volume without noticing; since the feedback isn't great. Not too much of a biggie, just a little something.

Another thing I liked about it - After I've been using my iPhone naked ("caseless"), the case gives it sort of a nice frame. Dunno, looking at the screen seems more pleasant now. Also the case is very "pocket-able" (easy to take it out of pockets).

Bottom line: I'd definitely recommend this case. With lots of useful extras (put aside the shields) and a great design, this is a top-of-the-line case with very few and insignificant "hiccups", and reasonably priced.

Note: I have been using this case only for a few days. I haven't dropped it yet so I'm not sure how it's gonna deal with drops. Also I think I saw someone who had a problem with the exterior frame "stretching out" after some time (not sure how long) and therefore revealing the chrome bezel. So far, so good.

4. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

xStarchildx, great review! I've been thinking about trying one of these to augment my use of my Otterbox Commuter (which I love but just wanted to try something different.)

Would it be possible for you to post a few pictures? I've seen pro shots of the Torrent, but you can always see more detail in user pictures. *edit* Never mind if it's too much trouble. I didn't realize the link you posted above had user pictures, although I can't read the review...lol.

Thanks for the review. I'll probably be picking one of these up soon!

5. xStarchildx thread starter macrumors newbie

I will post pictures in about Tuesday or Wednesday evening (GMT+2). I would have posted them earlier, if only I had a decent digital camera. No worries though, I will go visit my friend who happens to be a semi-professional photographer (some expensive Nikon DSLR stuff), so quality is sure to be high.

A few more things on the case:

This logo is kind of annoying. If you happen to use the phone while it's laying on a flat, hard surface every now and then (that would mean mostly tables), you will find it annoying to actually use it without picking it up. Unless you sort of push it towards the surface with some of your fingers, the damn logo is like an axis, and the phone will start wiggling, mostly in the sides.
    Not that big a problem as I make it sound though, since it can be used with one hand anyways while in the air.

The Black works pretty well. Fingerprints aren't too bad, and the scratches only show from some angles. Actually I'm not even sure what I'm seeing is scratches, since they appear to be all over the i-clip part. I think what I'm talking about has something to do with the light reflecting off the material. Most probably you won't find these, unless you really look for them.
    I had mine laying on its back and perhaps slid it from time to time, so far no visible scratches.
    Not a dirt magnet which is a great plus.
    I actually really like the i-clip part. It reminds me of the back of the black iPhone. The iPhone's back, naked, looks somewhat better though, being more glossy and reflective, but this is good as well.

The wavy sides don't have any of these problems of course.

Photos soon. Any questions - feel free to ask.