Switcheasy Vulcan ip4 mini review

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by AuroraProject, Nov 3, 2010.

1. AuroraProject, Nov 3, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2010

AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

On Sunday I decided to order the Switcheasy Vulcan in the smoke color. The case shipped on Monday from a town 45 minutes from me, and it arrived yesterday.
    The Vulcan is a tpu case, it is fairly slim though, thinner than I expected. It has a soft almost "grippy" feel to it, but slides in and out of a pocket just fine. Fit is decent, no major issues here. The volume and lock buttons are a bit firmer than I like, and lack feedback. The cutout for the silent switch is a good size, and my fat fingers have no problem fitting in there. There is a rough edge all the way around the lip that comes up over the screen, feels slightly "sharp". I really like the way the phone looks in this case. Hand oils collect on the back, so it seems to get dirty fast. I have not experienced any flash issues, the cutout is tight but the edges are beveled.
    The Vulcan comes with several accessories. Included in the package are 2 screen protectors (I don't use sp's, so I don't know if they are decent quality, or if this case will make them bubble), a microfiber cloth, a squeegee card, and 2 sets of headphone and dock connector plugs. In my line of work the headphone and dock plugs interested me, I am constantly exposed to dust and dirt and didn't want something the size of the Otterbox Defender. The plugs add a really nice touch to the Vulcan, that being said, the headphone plug is a bear to get out, even with fingernails.
    I recommend this case, and for $20 it's a deal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TheBigKing macrumors 65816

TheBigKing

i will buy this case really i sticky rigth now with incipio ngp but that case will be mi next buy

3. AuroraProject thread starter macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

It beats the Incipio in my book, slimmer and better looks, plus the headphone and dock plugs put it ahead of the NGP.

4. TheBigKing macrumors 65816

TheBigKing

i see in white color two but the black looks better

5. Username02 macrumors regular

Nice review. Thank you.

Can the phone in the case fit in any of the apple docks?
    Possibly using other SwitchEasy dock inserts?

I would have purchased this in a second if it had dock inserts included like the Rebel.

6. AuroraProject thread starter macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I use an older Apple dock with no insert, so pretty much any case fits it, the ip4 in the Vulcan fits my dock just fine.

7. ZipZap macrumors 601

The 3GS Vulcan had character. This is just like all the rest of this cases in this style.

The earphone plugs get lost easily. And the screen protectors or sub-par.

8. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

Thanks, awesome review! I have a few questions for you though.

•Does this have a flimsy or saggy bottom?
    •Is it grippy?
    •Will it work with a backside screen protector or and SGP Skin Guard?
    •Is it protective and has drop protection?

Thanks!

9. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

I'll try to answer your questions below.

10. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

Alright thanks. I was going tk get this with an SGP Carbon Fiber Skin Guard since I dont like the apple logo or iPhone info the back. But, after taking a look at the Incipio NGP, I may get that or both. I really want to use a full body shield on the NGP which would work but the same goes for the Vulcan, although it would be an extremely tight fit.