Switched from an iMac to an rMBP. Question about setting up a good backup system.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lionheartednyhc, Aug 10, 2012.

1. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

So I am trying to figure out how to deal with the smaller hard drive, as I am used to having everything stored internally.

My current set up now has two external hard drives. One is on my desk and has my Aperture library on it. The other is attached to my Time Capsule (so I can access it wirelessly) and contains my iTunes library.

My problem is I currently don't have any actual backups of either hard drives, or my laptop.

What is the best way to go about this? I know I can set the time capsule up to backup both the Aperture Drive (when my computer is plugged into it) as well as my computer, but I dont think I can have it backup the Itunes library can i? What do you guys recommend?

Thanks!

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I would recommend buying more drives and clone your existing ones to them once a month or so (or more often if there are lots of changes). For extra security, you could put the drives in a safety deposit box in between backups ;)

3. lionheartednyhc thread starter macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

I have super super. Do you have a suggestion besides downloading it?

----------

I've thought about that but I was hoping for something more time machine like / automated otherwise I'll forget :/

4. derbothaus, Aug 10, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2012

derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Well you have to launch it and then run it. :)

Create a .dmg expandable image and use the smart backup to edit subsequent backups. I have got my weekly backups down to less than 5 min of copying for roughly 20GB or changed data or so.
    You then use Disk Utility to restore to any HDD you move to or are forced to move to. Same with CCC. Only users who need versioning or have never tried to recover from a HD failure rely on Time Machine.