Switched from Classic to Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Scepticalscribe, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

A happy tale which I am pleased to share, and which reinforces my general appreciation/approbation of many things Apple. I have been a long time fan of the classic - for me, iPods are mostly to house large music collections, and, as I travel a lot, and live abroad a lot, my music collection travels with me as I find I spend a lot of time simply listening to music in weird and faraway places.

For the past year, I have had two classics, in case one died suddenly in a place where it would not be possible to replace a music collection for months on end (I don't have my MBP with me; the Mission is a Windows only work environment, unfortunately). In any case, my 30GB 5th Gen (which I have had since 2006) died over the summer, shortly before I returned to western Europe on leave, and I was happy to replace it with a 120GB when home in July. This, I must say, was never perfect, and kept skipping songs, and cutting out, a tendency which increased over the two months I had it. It, too, died, completely, after a solid freeze-up towards the end of September, just before another brief trip home.

Anyway, when home, I resurrected the sales receipt, and returned it to the point of sale along with the dead iPod. The sales staff took a few minutes to confirm the demise of the iPod, and offered me a refund on the spot, or a similar - ie replacement - model, or an exchange with another iPod. They didn't have another 120 in stock (since upgraded to 160GB) and explained I would have to wait a few weeks for the 160GB replacement. As I was returning to the Caucasus within a few days, I asked about the Touch. They had all of them, and pointed out there was a price difference if I chose the 64GB. I was more than happy to pay the difference, and so walked out with a brand new Touch, 64GB, complete with new receipt. Having been uneasy about the hype surrounding the Touch, and a sort of diehard fan of the classic, I must say I'm extremely impressed with it so far. It is really beautiful, and the music (which is still what I use it for, mainly, as a back-up, er, now, actually, more of a replacement for my 80GB classic) comes through really well. I must say that the battery - which had been a worry, as the modern classic has an excellent one - also seems to be excellent. So, one happy customer, and again, I have to say how impressed (and pleased) I am that once a sales receipt is produced Apple honour it immediately. Such service is one of the main reasons I switched to Apple computers.

Cheers and good luck

2. copykris macrumors 6502a

copykris

i don't know about anyone else, but i find these stories infinitely more interesting to read than all those "so when do you think they'll put a camera in the touch" and "can my touch play flash content?" threads that seem to take up 75% of this particular subforum

cheers

3. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

Good story.

I purchased mine last week and couldn't be happier.

4. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

Very Interesting.

I have to say, though, that while I love my iPhone 3GS, if I were in the market for a music only device, the iPod Classic still has far and away the best interface for doing just that.

David

5. Scepticalscribe thread starter Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I take your point completely, orangezorki, and broadly, actually agree with you. When I went along to the store, if they had the 160GB in stock, I'd have happily taken it, as I had the idea that the Touch would only be worth getting at, say, 128GB, and was a glorified over-hyped extravagence. But, as I was travelling back to the Caucasus within a day or so, I couldn't really wait (and I won't be home until the New Year again) and so I opted for the Touch, and chose the model with the largest amount of available memory, the 64GB.

In truth, I hadn't expected to be so impressed, as I had felt that hype ruled here, and that form may have taken precedence over substance when discussing the Touch. It is really superb, and I'm astonished and delighted; obviously, it is designed to do far more than play music, but that is what I mainly use it for at the moment.

More to the point, as the 80GB, 120GB and 160 GB classics all come with amazing battery life, this was one area that I felt the Touch would offer no competition, much the way the old 30GB spluttered after 5-6 hours or so (I remember an interminable bus ride in Montenegro over a year ago when monitoring an election in that country, and how a Spanish colleague and myself exchanged classics to listen to each another's music collections and nursed the respective batteries along for as long as possible until each spluttered to a halt; that is how I first encountered the music of the Russian underground group DDT, but that is another story). However, to my surprise, the battery of the Touch is also very impressive.

Cheers

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

The battery of the Touch does drain relativeliy quickly if you are using the screen. I like to read ebooks on mine, and I always need to charge at the end of the day. However, if you are just playing music with the screen off, it lasts a surprisingly long time. I once got more than three hours of music playback when the battery indicator showed less than 5% remaining.

7. skypilot55 macrumors newbie

You mean there is no camera in the Touch? That would explain why none of my pictures are coming out.

:rolleyes:

I gave my classic iPod to my wife - who likes it a lot; and I have a 16gb (2g) Touch, which I like a lot. So we're both very happy campers. :D

Wonder if they'll put a camera in the classic? :eek:

8. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

I have both (Classic and Touch). If I had a choice I wouldn't use the Touch as my primary music device. The UI for music on it is much too clunky for my taste, compared to the Classic. Well, I admit it would be better if my Touch had enough capacity to hold my entire music library. But it doesn't deal well with having to select a subset of my library. Then there are other things like the absence of a clickwheel, the fact that it takes several motions to accomplish what can be done in a single click with the Classic, etc.