Switched from Wired to Wireless Mac Keyboard

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MadeInDade, Feb 8, 2012.

1. MadeInDade macrumors newbie

MadeInDade

So I've had my iMac for a few years now, and couldn't be happier with it. Today I decided to switch out my crappy Linksys wireless router with a AirPort Extreme. Again, couldn't be happier. While I was at the store, I also decided to pick up a Mac wireless keyboard to replace the wired one that came with my iMac.

Here's where my question lies. I setup the keyboard without a problem, but some of the F keys weren't working properly. I figured out how to fix that in System Preferences. But my keys from F7 to F12 aren't working. They are the Reverse, Play/Pause, Forward, and Volume keys. They have the same layout as my wired keyboard, but they're not doing anything when I press them on the wireless keyboard. I've spent a long time looking around System Preferences and I can't find how to get them to work. Any suggestions?

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

What version of Mac OS X do you have on your computer? Does it meet the requirements listed on the packaging for the wireless keyboard? The wireless keyboard may have been hardcoded to work with 10.7 so there may be some buttons which fail to properly activate if you are not running 10.7 on the Mac.

3. MadeInDade, Feb 8, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2012

MadeInDade thread starter macrumors newbie

MadeInDade

I've got Mac OS X 10.5.8. The keyboard box says "Bluetooth-enabled Mac computer with Mac OS X v10.6.8 or later". Damn, that means that I won't be able to use those keys unless I upgrade my OS X?

4. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Sadly yes.
    Snow leapord can be bought for only $19 and is a great OS

5. MadeInDade thread starter macrumors newbie

MadeInDade

Can I just buy Snow Leopard online and download it, or do I actually have to buy a hard copy? Isn't there a newer one out now too, Lion? Can I just skip Snow Leopard and go to Lion?