Switched iPhone on - all SMS have vanished!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by RaphaeliteGirl, Apr 9, 2010.

1. RaphaeliteGirl macrumors newbie

I received an SMS last night just as my iPhone then switched itself off as it was low on charge.

I charged it up, switched it on and behold, ALL my SMS have disappeared.

I've no idea what the text was that came in or if it had a bug in it.

I haven't recently downloaded a new app. I've read here that people's have had issues with Fring - I don't have that installed, so it can't be that.

Had iPhones for two years and this is first time I've had a problem.

I was nowhere near the 75,000 maximum number of messages.

Anyone experienced this before? And have an insight into what's going on? No ther data is affected; just SMS.

I did a back-up about two weeks ago, but have added loads of contacts etc since then and not sure which ones, so a long slow plod through all new info would face me!

If there's another of getting them back without losing my other recent data, then I'd love to know it.

Many thanks indeed.

RaphaeliteGirl - G5 Desktop - MacBook Air - iPhone 16GB 3GS

2. fullmanfullninj macrumors regular

You know, it was cause of this issue that I ended up buying a 3GS (upg. from 3G).

What happened to me was that the text message app CRASHED. And in turn, I lost all my texts.

AFAIK (knowledge is limited..would help if someone verified what Im about to say), there is no way to merge backups. Like, I can't take contacts from backup A and texts from backup B and photos from backup C to create like...some mega backup D and restore.

I wish I could be more helpful, but based on personal experience, you're kind of stuck. If the texts are important and useful, restore to backup.
    If you can, try to like sync contacts to Outlook or something? Then restore and retrieve contacts from outlook? I'm not sure if it works though.

All I can say is that I don't THINK they're retrievable again...
    Mine were all lost then blah blah dead iPhone and long story short, I got a 3GS and restored to my backup 2 days before my 3G died.