Switched off for 2 months...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by skiffy, Mar 31, 2014.

1. skiffy macrumors newbie

I've had my MacBook Pro switched off for 2 months as I've moved house and I'd misplaced the power cable. I found it today and plugged it in and it restored the page to how it was when the battery died but it wasn't charging. I turned it off and on again and now it lets me log into my profile but just doesn't load anything, so the page is just grey. The power lead light is orange.

My MBP was purchased in 2010...have I broken it? I'm worried I've lost all my pictures :/

2. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Step 1: Do SMC and PRAM resets.
    Step 2: Report back.

3. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

4. skiffy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help, but I've no idea how to do this. Can anyone talk me through it?

It had been on charge for a good 6 hours.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

6. skiffy thread starter macrumors newbie

Switched off for 2 months...

Thank you. I've just tried both and neither work. I feel like a trip to the Mac store might be in order.

The battery has charged from what I can see now though. It's stayed at 98%. It lets me log in and then gives me the option of restoring my open apps, then gives me this screen...

[​IMG]

Then the screen remains grey with an active mouse.

7. BanterClaus macrumors regular

BanterClaus

Highly unlikely you've lost anything, I doubt this failure is related to your HDD.

But please when you get this working again do a backup to external drive or something.

8. skiffy thread starter macrumors newbie

I have my photos backed up partially to an EH so thankfully all is definitely not lost, but it's been a while since I did that so I know IF anything is lost, it's still a moderate loss.

I hope you're right though. Both resets haven't worked so I'll have to take it in to the mac store and get their help. It's just typical that I've done this when it's just out of it's extended warranty!

----------

Ok quick help please! This has just happened!

[​IMG]

What do I do?!

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Looks like you booted off your install DVD or the Recovery partition if you're running a later version of OSX

10. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

That happens when there is some period with no power (including none from the battery). I would think your battery is shot, although it should still boot when plugged in.

11. skiffy thread starter macrumors newbie

Which of the options should I choose from that menu? Have I lost all my data on the computer? (Sorry I've been at work so haven't done anything since last post)

Do I need a new battery?

Thanks

12. skiffy thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah ah I THINK I've fixed it. I safe booted it and it appears to be working so far. Thanks for all the advice!