Switched to Android, Full Res Pics & Video

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by ILowry82, Mar 2, 2017.

1. ILowry82 macrumors regular

I just switched to the Moto Z. Most of my friends and family have iPhones but I prefer android. My question is how do you go about getting full resolution pictures and videos through text messages?

2. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

Messaging is kind of a mess on Android. Right now your phone uses MMS to send photos/videos to iPhone users which compresses them. Google is trying to get carriers to implement a universal profile for RCS which will basically replace SMS/MMS to provide an iMessage like experience, it will also fall back to SMS/MMS as needed. Apple will also have to build this into their Messages app and I haven't read any information if Apple will support this or not.

Some workarounds:

You could upload the photos to Google Photos and send links in text messages to the full resolution photos/videos.

Could have people install an IM app such as: Signal, WhatsApp, Telegram, Facebook Messenger.

3. MRU Suspended

MRU

Send via ....

WhatsApp
    Allo
    Facebook Messenger

--------
    Take your pic ;)

4. mclld macrumors 68000

5. jdlindsey7 macrumors regular

Does Allo compress and share a higher quality of image and video like iMessage?

6. ILowry82 thread starter macrumors regular

No, regular Z. The camera is important to me and from what I've seen the camera on the Z play is sub par. Am I wrong?

7. mclld macrumors 68000

The Z is tecnically higher end and the camera is better for sure but the Z Play is well regarded, especially for the battery