Switched to Apple computer and was encouraged to Restore touch, have lost software up

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by peteolson, May 28, 2008.

1. peteolson macrumors newbie

I received my touch for Christmas and in Jan, purchased the softare upgrade on my work PC. We switched to a mac at home about a month ago and the sales staff encouraged me to restore my touch to sync better with my mac. When I tried to repurchase the update on my mac, because I had bought it previously it wouldn't allow me to install a second time.

Is there anyway to transfer the software update from my pc to my mac? or easier to say is how do I get the software update on my touch without syncing to my PC.

Thanks in advance

2. sgtboy macrumors 6502

Send an email to Itunes support and they will be more than happy to help you get it for free on your mac

3. peteolson thread starter macrumors newbie

Sent email to Itunes, they were unable to solve issue.

4. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

well, that sucks big time, if Apple could not help, which i really doubt. people would be be buying new computers sooner or later and things like this can/will happen.

hope you update us regarding this issue.

5. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Hello peteolson,

You wish to transfer the update file from your PC to your Mac, yes?

When you downloaded the January Software update on your non-mac system the update landed in the following directory:

C:\Documents and Settings\<YOUR USER NAME>\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\Mobile Applications

Now if you transfer the (.ipa) file in that folder to this directory on your Mac:

~/Users/(Your Username)/Library/iTunes/Mobile Applications

Then re-sync your device with iTunes making sure 'Manually Manage Music' is not ticked on the 'Summary' tab.

You applications should fly back over.

R-Fly

6. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

I wonder if that software update file is iTunes account user specific, can you install from someone else's?

7. peteolson thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I've sent the file to my email and will try installing on my mac tonight!!

8. peteolson thread starter macrumors newbie

9. JAYGEE macrumors member

JAYGEE

If it is that easy to do, and Apple couldn't help you with that, then they need better staff :confused: