switched to BB bold for now

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by msarway, Sep 22, 2008.

1. msarway macrumors 6502

msarway

i hate to do this ilove my iphone so much but its just junk. i am going to switch to tghe BB bold for now until they fix the iphone i feel bad but the iphone just has no reception and is always droping calls.

2. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

alrighty then.

3. slicecom macrumors 68020

4. adamrc macrumors newbie

5. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

BB Bold is a very nice phone, especially if you don't need the full browser capability and advanced media player of the iPhone

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

If the iPhone doesn't suit your needs, then you are absolutely correct in replacing it. Even though I haven't seen the Bold in person, from what I've been reading online suggests that it is a great phone.

7. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

hopefully it works better for you. come back to this thread you created and give us a review/comparison on the bold once you get it!

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'd be curious to hear it also. The Bold doesn't seem to make any kind of quantum leap over the limitations of the BB (e.g. I'm guessing its third-party apps will continue to be pretty basic and unappealing, like they were in previous generations, and it still seems poorly suited to web browsing), but it does seem like a very attractive product in terms of looks, thinness, form factor, etc, for doing all the things the BB has always been good at (e.g. absolutely the best mobile e-mail solution available when uptime, rapid availability of messages, and quick message checking/replying are vital).

So all in all it seems like it's the best product yet for the core BB set.

9. slicecom macrumors 68020

I agree with all your points except thinness. Maybe I'm just used to my iPhone, but having seen and held one in person, it's quite bulky, and the leather back is laughable.

10. macaco74 macrumors regular

I am so out of it, I had not realized the BB Bold was released. I had thought earlier October was the street date.

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, the back is weird. But it's much thinner than my 8700, I think!

12. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The largest 3.5" drive out there is 1.5TB now, too.

Or maybe you already knew that... :p

13. macaco74 macrumors regular

I figured there would be a response like that.

14. tryppy macrumors member

I couldn't imagine leaving this phone. It's like no other I have seen. Not to mention a lot can be fixed via software patches.

Though I am one of the lucky ones. I'm on the same iPhone 3G since launch with no issues. I use my phone all the time and have yet to get a dropped call.

3g reception in my basement apt wasn't the best (2bars max) but always worked. Since the recent patch I have a constant 5 bar connection.

Rogers / Canada

Hope things work out for you in the crackberry world.

15. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Sadly, the BBB isn't even available in the USA. You can probably pick one up in Canada with Rogers, but when it's released in October (hopefully; wasn't it suppose to be released in June '08?) guess who the carrier is going to be? Yes, AT&T, so maybe "all" is not resolved. Good luck either way.:rolleyes:

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It looks like it's been announced for T-Mobile, also, albeit slightly later (looks like 1/2009 release dates for CDMA versions for both CDMA carriers and a GSM one that works with the nascent T-Mobile USA 3G network). (e.g. ref)

17. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Have fun. Enjoy a device that uses a UI that's running long in the tooth.

18. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

There's no need to disparage the BB. The Bold actually runs a completely juiced up version of the UI that looks pretty nice.

The BB can't be beat for SMS/email capabilities, not to mention that it runs for like 5 days on a battery charge.

If you don't need a web browser and advanced media capabilities that the iPhone has but you do need longer battery life and super fast text and email capabilities (not to mention real push notification capability) the BB is the king.

19. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I hear what the OP is saying, b/c I was in the same boat. That all changed with the 2.1 firmware update for me (No Service or 1-2 bars on average, and dropped calls). Here's a screenshot as of this morning with 4 bars in my house:

Attached Files:

20. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

That's funny cause I had the iPhone 3G, and I wanted to tryout the bold. I liked it for a few weeks, but now I realize how much those 16GB of space is really handy.

21. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The bold is a wonderful phone. I am impressed that BB actually improved the call functionality on their devices. My 8700x series is a POS phone but clearly a great data device. I, however, don't find it necessary for you to troll around posting such information. Sorry dude, just change the phones and be happy. Let those with iPhone suffer in their own misery if they so choose.

22. cere macrumors 6502

My brother got a Bold from work last week. So far, he really, really hates it. He keeps his iPod Touch on hand when he needs to do some mobile browsing. I live and work surrounded by all things RIM, so I am maybe a bit biased, but I like the look of the Bold and BB still reigns supreme for business users.

The Thunder/Storm is really their iPhone 'killer' but they should have focused on the Bold for that. The Thunder is going to be gimmicky at best and laughable at the worst. RIM should have stuck to their guns and gone to their strength. Their first attempt at a touch screen is going to make them look bad.

23. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

touchscreen may be alright u never know.

24. wrinklefree macrumors newbie

The BB simply does email better than the iphone, as it SHOULD since its a business phone first and foremost.

I've had 4 blackberries and currently have a 8800 and iphone from my work. I prefer how the BB can consolidate all your emails, sms, missed calls, and IM's into a single "messages" window. 1 stop shopping; no clicking around different menus to read different things.

I love the ipod integration and safari browser on the iphone, but the activesync for exchange is too much of a battery drain. My 8800 can go almost a week on a full charge, doing push email and running Yahoo messenger in the background. I'm lucky to get slightly over a day on the iphone.

There is no perfect phone out there. It's going to come down to the features you want.

25. cere macrumors 6502

I saw a video of some QA tester (from a carrier I think) that showed the Thunder touch screen. To counter a common criticism of the iPhone's implementation of touch and lack of tactile response, RIM has apparently made the entire screen a gigantic button. So, when you touch a button, you actually need to push the entire screen. Sure, that gives you a tactile response that you have pushed something, but it doesn't give you any more specific feedback than your finger having touched the screen. You still can't tell that you have pressed the correct element, so it is useless. Like I said, gimmicky at best and laughable at worst. They have a good thing going with their keyboard. It isn't touch, but it is accurate and fast. If they wanted to do a full screen touch phone, they should have put more effort into finding a way to provide relevant and accurate tactile feedback. Otherwise, it is just going to be the subject of jokes and hurt their reputation.