Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BravoBug

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2008
Oregon, USA
The main reasons I prefer winamp is, its skinable, which easily makes it very small and unobtrusive. It also works really well with large collections, I've taken great care to convert my music collection to MP3s... thousands of albums, over 250gig of music.

you might take a look at Audion by Panic. its no longer one of their supported products, but its free now and maybe it'll fit your needs.

http://www.panic.com/audion/

jon08

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
I, too, am having difficulties adjusting to iTunes. What angers me about it is the following:

1) It only recognizes a portion of my Chinese/Korean/Japanese songs, the other, what, about 2/3 of it is a bunch of "????"!!! Why???? (Otherwise, when under Applications or whatever folder I put the songs, it displays ALL the characters perfectly!!! It's only that upon loading the songs into iTunes, lots of them would turn into question marks, while some remain untouched.)

2) Why the hell can't it sort the songs by the mp3 external name/tag?? All of my mp3s were arranged perfectly according to the alphabet of the external names of the mp3s when I was still a Windows user, but now iTunes arranges them by INTERNAL naming of the songs, which, some of my mp3s have, others DON'T. Or some only have the track name inside, but no artist or album, so consequently, it places the song on the bottom of the list or wherever out of the context! Considering the large amounts of those that don't have their full internal tag, I really wouldn't want to rename each of them manually. Can something be done about these arrangements??

JazzLion

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2009
There was a Alpha Winamp 0.7.1 or so for Mac. But it requires "classical" mode which 10.5.* doesn't support =(

Eventually, I had to get used to iTunes but I think I will get back to WinAmp through Fusion =)

Suspended
Jan 12, 2009
Hmm i'd say use iTunes, its awesome. iTunes works far better on OS X than it does on Windows. with my macbook you get f7~f12 for skip play/pause and volume functions, which work perfectly with leopard. ive personally never used winamp, it just looks ugly, yes its skinable but i've always seen ugly ass skins for it :(

but the RAID issue, that..is something i'm not sure iTunes can do.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Have to admit, tried Vox today, and I'm liking it a lot! Good Winamp replacement, except of course for file types it can't play.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Winamp on Crossover

Has anyone succeeded in running Winamp using Crossover? I have tried but couldn't get the queue working.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I just miss the Visualisations.

MilkDrop is an awesome visualiser...so silky smooth and has so much.

bay2sacto

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2008
any news of winamp for mac?
There actually was a version of it backin the day (around '97-'99) called MacAMP. But that was killed a loooong time ago. And since being bought by AOL I don't think it will come back. AOL seems to be be much more Windows centric.

I'm in a similar boat. I had used WinAMP for over 10 years when I switched in October. Still haven't found a exact replacement. Though gotta say iTunes is close. It has support for streaming radio which is one of the things I loved about WinAMP. Though iTunes doesn't come close to all the free shoutcast movies, tv and audio. I've yet to bit the bullet and let it manage my vast MP3 collection, but I think I may give it a wurl. I've really not given into to the iLife way of letting those apps manage everything for me yet.

Anyone know of a OS X Shoutcast player that has the number of stations as Winamp Media section had? I used to be able to wat Lost and a whole **** load of other shows & movies there.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Hmm i'd say use iTunes, its awesome. iTunes works far better on OS X than it does on Windows. with my macbook you get f7~f12 for skip play/pause and volume functions, which work perfectly with leopard. ive personally never used winamp, it just looks ugly, yes its skinable but i've always seen ugly ass skins for it :(

but the RAID issue, that..is something i'm not sure iTunes can do.

It also can't do things like, oh... I don't know... play a flac file? That alone makes it decidedly un-awesome.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Then use VLC which is a 100 times better than Winamp.

100 times better? Care to elaborate?

Or better yet convert the FLAC file to Apple Lossless and stick it in iTunes.

Because compatibility should start with the player, not the file.

No it hasn't.

Last Play update: 9th February 2008
Last Cog update: 8th March 2009

Releases and news for both have been few and far in between, to say the least.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
100 times better? Care to elaborate?

Obviously it wasn't intended to be taken literally but VLC is a superior media player. It handles more audio and video formats than Winamp does.

Because compatibility should start with the player, not the file.

What is the point in keeping compatibility if you only use one player? Or even if you use 1 player 80% of the time.

grit

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2008
Coocked up one myself

I just wanted a small player in which I could drag my mp3 files to. They are located on an external disc and I hat them all being copied to iTunes.

I made it with Flash (which has its quirks with some non 44.1 encoded bitrates but 99% of my collection is played well). You don't need to install anything (well apart from having the Flash player plugin on your system), just download and run it.

Just drag and drop a selected list of files (or a folder) on the window and it starts playing. You can give it a try: http://www.rgp.nl/qplayer.zip (484KB)

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
I made it with Flash (which has its quirks with some non 44.1 encoded bitrates but 99% of my collection is played well). You don't need to install anything (well apart from having the Flash player plugin on your system), just download and run it.

Just drag and drop a selected list of files (or a folder) on the window and it starts playing. You can give it a try: http://www.rgp.nl/qplayer.zip (484KB)
Simple, nice and useful! Congratulations!

ljgww

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2008
winamp not eq itunes

Let me be clear about something here. 1. I use macs since they exist. 2. I use windows since it exist. 3. I use computers since macs and windows did not exist. I am nobody's fan. But I am mostly on mac simply because it is the most beautiful and worked-out UNIX shell made today.

But iLoones and WinBump are two different ideas of music use. I really do not care about 80% of apple stuff that has been dumped in iTunes in recent years to improve apple store selling of any kind. I do not use it and do not plan to use it which renders 80% od iLoones unusable to me. What makes me even more going away from it is the fact that for any kind of extended functionality it will in this or that way jump to Apple Store.... that is NAGGING. Why they do not admit that iLoones is NAG-WARE.

I really miss WinAmp functionality on the Mac. Honestly.

1. I want to organize my music files IN A WAY I WANT not according to the iTunes/iPod idea of organization. Because I LISTEN MY MUSIC on 3 different OSes. Apple, as much as you believe so, YOU ARE NOT ONLY THING IN THIS PART OF UNIVERSE

2. I want to name songs according to the content not according to the CD rip I have and apple store (iTunes really does not quite do it, winamp on windows QUITE DOES IT).

3. I want to listen files in the way I want it (nice try iTunes Genious or Smart lists, it resembles WinAmp but tend to clog, add list, remove list, add remove, search through the library, gets boring after a while, so i stick to one list and edit edit edit = tedious). Where is famous mac files Drag & Drop. Oh yes, it does it to the Library (not to mention what if I do not want to import - switch off, switch on copying the files to library). Consolidation? Better do not do it.... WinAMP here offers simplicity. I have about 150Gb of music AND I DO NOT WANT IT ALL IN MY LIBRARY ON MAC, I need my HDD space for other stuff. Not to mention that iTunes became mastodont of an application. It takes time to start. What additionally drives me nuts is ituneshelper background app both on mac and win. Yes it does help but it is 99.99% of the time useless waste of CPU.

4. WinAmp has itunes style of library, nice move, BUT, I DO NOT USE IT, because 1 (above).

So MP3 player not equal to iTunes.... Play is good http://sbooth.org/Play/ but it still tries to catch on iTunes kinda philosophy. Still waiting for simple list drag and drop folder MP3 Player with easily editable adhoc play list.

Last edited:

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
Let me be clear about something here. 1. I use macs since they exist. 2. I use windows since it exist. 3. I use computers since macs and windows did not exist. I am nobody's fan. But I am mostly on mac simply because it is the most beautiful and worked-out UNIX shell made today.

But iLoones and WinBump are two different ideas of music use. I really do not care about 80% of apple stuff that has been dumped in iTunes in recent years to improve apple store selling of any kind. I do not use it and do not plan to use it which renders 80% od iLoones unusable to me. What makes me even more going away from it is the fact that for any kind of extended functionality it will in this or that way jump to Apple Store.... that is NAGGING. Why they do not admit that iLoones is NAG-WARE.

I really miss WinAmp functionality on the Mac. Honestly.

1. I want to organize my music files IN A WAY I WANT not according to the iTunes/iPod idea of organization. Because I LISTEN MY MUSIC on 3 different OSes. Apple, as much as you believe so, YOU ARE NOT ONLY THING IN THIS PART OF UNIVERSE

2. I want to name songs according to the content not according to the CD rip I have and apple store (iTunes really does not quite do it, winamp on windows QUITE DOES IT).

3. I want to listen files in the way I want it (nice try iTunes Genious or Smart lists, it resembles WinAmp but tend to clog, add list, remove list, add remove, search through the library, gets boring after a while, so i stick to one list and edit edit edit = tedious). Where is famous mac files Drag & Drop. Oh yes, it does it to the Library (not to mention what if I do not want to import - switch off, switch on copying the files to library). Consolidation? Better do not do it.... WinAMP here offers simplicity. I have about 150Gb of music AND I DO NOT WANT IT ALL IN MY LIBRARY ON MAC, I need my HDD space for other stuff. Not to mention that iTunes became mastodont of an application. It takes time to start. What additionally drives me nuts is ituneshelper background app both on mac and win. Yes it does help but it is 99.99% of the time useless waste of CPU.

4. WinAmp has itunes style of library, nice move, BUT, I DO NOT USE IT, because 1 (above).

So MP3 player not equal to iTunes.... Play is good http://sbooth.org/Play/ but it still tries to catch on iTunes kinda philosophy. Still waiting for simple list drag and drop folder MP3 Player with easily editable adhoc play list.

I have never used it but, have you tried DoubleTwist?

Or better yet try running WINAmp though Cross Over?

Hugh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.