Switched to Mac...Was worried about WiFi...Not anymore!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by SDRacerR1, May 13, 2011.

1. SDRacerR1 macrumors member

I recently switched from a POS windows PC and was worried about the WiFi performance speeds of the iMac, since most of my experience, there has been quite a dropped going from LAN to wireless. Now whether this is because I had old pc laptops or whatnot not sure.

Until I switch some things around, my cable modem is serving my old PC and my xbox which I use as a media center, so have the iMac sitting off in the den on Wifi.

I think there was an article about this this week, but the WiFi on my iMac is amazingly fast. So kudos to Apple for upgrading the capabilities.

I don't use the Airport Extreme, using a WNR3500l, and did a speedtest.net and had speeds around 25-35Mbps on WiFi. Thats just as quick as hooking into the LAN at least on my old PC.

Anyways, once again why switching to the MAC is the best choice!

2. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Nothing special.

Wireless "g" which has been standard on most every Mac since about 2003, and "n" started being standard in 2006.

"g" is 54 Mbps, still almost double your cable speed, but since your router is "n", theoretically 300 Mbps, going to an "n" iMac -- you will see full speeds.

Your old windblows PC probably had "b", limited to 11 Mbps.

3. TheSideshow macrumors 6502

OP's logic is almost at a 3rd grader's level. lol

4. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

Many PCs are still shipped with wireless G as standard while Apple has been on wireless N since 2006.

5. hammten macrumors regular

Are you sure about this? I would think that n would be the standard at this point.

Edit... Just went to dell, looked up their cheapest offering, a $449 unit, and it comes with n as i figured. I like apple as well, but lets not exaggerate things.

6. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

It depends on the model but yes, Dell is still selling wireless G as standard on some models with the option to pay EXTRA for wireless N.

If you haven't noticed, Dell's entire online store tries to Upsell options that are standard on Macs. Some options are better than what Apple offers but when you click a link on a cheap machine, everything is an upsell. To be trueful, they cater to more price sensitive customers, so that's why they do it.

7. SDRacerR1 thread starter macrumors member

8. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede