Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nooaah

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
So, AT&T failed me for the last time a week ago and I switched to Verizon and ate 22 months of early cancellation fees. Whatever. Anyway, when I was backing up the new 4S to my iCloud account, the brand new phone popped up an Apple ID that had a gmail address that was definitely not mine.

Could this be the Verizon rep's email or did I get a used phone somehow? The phone looks right off the factory belt - model MD280LL. Should I be concerned?

jredecop

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009
Mine does the same thing from time to time. Very strange. It started a few years ago and still pops up that id every now and then. On my iPad too. I've never been charged for any weird apps or anything but yeah this is very strange.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
When I got my iPhone 4s and did my first iCloud restore, I had that problem too.

In my case, there were songs trying to be restored that were originally purchased with a different Apple ID (like my roommates). I somehow had them in my iTunes library on my Mac, and they made their way over to my old iPhone, and got backed up to the iCloud. I think at some point my Mac may have been authorized under his account.

treyjustice

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
TX
I just upgraded my iphone 4 to a 4s yesterday. Before I even restored the voicemail popped up asking for my apple ID and there was an email there I had never seen before... very weird

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
My guess is that when the customer service rep is activating the iPhone (via iTunes) and plugs it in to their computer, the iPhone picks up that reps Apple ID that is associated with that computer.

But this is just a guess.

nooaah

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
My guess is that when the customer service rep is activating the iPhone (via iTunes) and plugs it in to their computer, the iPhone picks up that reps Apple ID that is associated with that computer.

But this is just a guess.
Yup, that was my guess, too.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Theoretically, that's possible. Computers used to activate others iPhones should be set to run iTunes in activation-only mode, though.

When I bought my iPhone 4s from Verizon, it activated without having to be hooked up to a computer. :confused:

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
My phone activated without having to be hooked up to a computer and I've never had anyone elses ID pop up... strange though that several of you have had the same experience...

nooaah

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
I think this actually happened when I activated my AT&T 4S, as well...Well, I guess as long as the PW is strong we should be ok.

Ksizzle9

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Should be able to remedy this by going into settings>store>view apple id> them making sure nothing else is in there. I've had the same thing happen but me and another persOn used the same computer(my Mac) to backup/sync/update/restore our idevices and occasionally this would happen.

jimmy73

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2013
IPHONe 4 using someone elsesapple id

Tonight my wife did the ios6.1.2 open air update on her iphone 4 and some how my apple id was on her phone and she could not use it. Has anyone else had this happen?

I could totally understand if she plugged into my computer but it was through wifi. I am stumped Can someone please help me out here?

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
actually, this has been discussed before i think.

basically, i believe its been widely accepted that people who have once either synced or downloaded items from someone elses itunes account or you have songs or apps that were downloaded by someone elses ID, when you go to restore, you will get this issue. since your music and apps are tied to your ID, if you somehow synced music once downloaded by someone else (maybe someone hosted the mp3s online and you downloaded them to your itunes), it will prompt you for their ID as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.