Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NagasakiGG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2017
Hi,

I was so angry about Apple (had to replace my iPX 7 (!!!) times between november and march) that I sold it to get a Google Pixel 2 XL.
Anyway, im not very satisfied with that device. Don't get me wrong, the stock android performance is awesome, but just the "it just works"-factor is missing.

So yea I am looking for another device to get, and I guess iPhone.

I am deciding between:

X, 8 and 8+.

What I didnt really like on the X was the battery and the blueish tint (every device had) and that it wasn't very clear to see the display under sun. (thats the least problem). But my biggest fear is that the torment will proceed. (Speaker problem -> Burn in -> Dust under front cam -> Green line of death -> Side button not working -> Dust under Camera -> Dust under rear camera).

My biggest question is: Will I notice the difference between the 8 and 8+?
My girlfriend has the 7+, and regarding to battery that device is a freakin' beast.

utilitas

Suspended
Apr 10, 2016
I am interested in what you dislike about the Pixel the most? Can you explain that a little? I was looking at Pixel phones because I don't like a lot of stuff Apple did with the new phones. (Face ID ...) I always used iPhones since the 4. I got that one when it was new and the other ones I got used except for my latest, the 6S which I still use. I will keep that one as long as I can because I don't want to spend that much when my old phone is fine. But I was looking at the Pixels because they still have a finger sensor, are fast, great camera and nice google integration. But for that one, I know that you can get the google apps also for iPhone.

I know what you mean by "it just works". Thats the thing why people like their iPhones the most. And I think you only miss this feature when you switch to a different phone, which I never have. I went from Nokia to iPhone and never switched again.

If you can take the time, wait for the new iPhones. It is going to be interesting. But it is still a long time until then. Except for the SE if it is coming in may/WWDC. But if you had an Pixel XL before and an IPX I don't think you are interested in an SE.

If you need the phone now:

iPhone 7+/8+ if battery is key
iPhone 7/8 if you want a smaller form factor

I don't think you can go wrong with the 7 models because they are fast enough to last several years. Even my 6S is still fast enough for everything. If you want to spend less, the 7 it is a great option. It is basically the same phone as the 8 except for the wireless charging and true tone display. I don't know if you should get the X. I mean you had a lot of problems with it, so if you want the flagship and money is not a problem you might just wait for the new iPhones. Personally I would suggest you getting the 7/7+. I think it is the best value for the money right now with enough speed to last for a long time.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
If you've been through 7 iPhone Xs why would you expect anything to be different if you re-buy? Slight blue shift is normal OLED behavior. Apple's LCD screens shift darker / wash out a bit. Pick your poison.

Don't go with a 7/7+ coming from the X. You seem to be able to afford the 8/8+ if you came from the X. The 7/7+ doesn't have true tone display, which is perfectly implemented on the 8/8+ compared to the piss yellow tone it creates on the X.

If you live in a congested area, the iPhone 8/8+ supports band 66 depending on the network you are on. On Verizon it makes a difference re: carrier aggregation during times of congestion.

Do you like the size of the X? Get the 8.
Did you think battery life on the X was bad? It is closer to the 8 than 8+. Get the 8+.
Do you want to carry a brick in your pocket? If not, get the 8.
Do you care about slightly better camera? Get the 8+.
Will you feel cramped going back to a 4.7" screen? Get the 8+.

The 8/8+ are both fantastic and you can't go wrong. I sold my X and use the 8. Don't miss the X at all.

Last edited:

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
really dont see how someone can return a phone that much. once or twice maybe but 7 makes it seem like the problem is probably you complaining about things nobody else sees.

Reactions: Vermifuge

est1738

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
I get it OP. I went through a few (X’s) myself before I realized I just didn’t like the phone. Back on an 8plus and I’m actually happy. Perfect screen, excellent battery life. Not dogging the X because it’s the future. I will just wait it out a bit this time.

andyp350

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2011
You sound too fussy to be happy with any device.
My advice would be to pick a phone and just use it without looking for a flaw/fault.

Reactions: Vermifuge

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2016
I get it OP. I went through a few (X’s) myself before I realized I just didn’t like the phone. Back on an 8plus and I’m actually happy. Perfect screen, excellent battery life. Not dogging the X because it’s the future. I will just wait it out a bit this time.

Yeah when you see the nice screen side by side you tend to get jealous

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Hi,

I was so angry about Apple (had to replace my iPX 7 (!!!) times between november and march) that I sold it to get a Google Pixel 2 XL.
Anyway, im not very satisfied with that device. Don't get me wrong, the stock android performance is awesome, but just the "it just works"-factor is missing.

So yea I am looking for another device to get, and I guess iPhone.

I am deciding between:

X, 8 and 8+.

What I didnt really like on the X was the battery and the blueish tint (every device had) and that it wasn't very clear to see the display under sun. (thats the least problem). But my biggest fear is that the torment will proceed. (Speaker problem -> Burn in -> Dust under front cam -> Green line of death -> Side button not working -> Dust under Camera -> Dust under rear camera).

My biggest question is: Will I notice the difference between the 8 and 8+?
My girlfriend has the 7+, and regarding to battery that device is a freakin' beast.

Er ... 7 replacements? What do you do to your phones? I've had the X since launch day and haven't had a single one of the problems you've listed.

Yes, there is a very minor blue-shift when viewing the screen off-axis, that's the nature of OLED screens. That said, Apple's OLED blue-shift has been mitigated quite a bit compared to their competition. Here’s a screenshot from a video showing from left to right, the Pixel 2XL, iPhone X, and Note 8. I think you’ll agree that, at most, the iPhone X is just slightly cooler than normal, but the other two are downright blue.

E56EEB94-B9C5-4232-92FE-7AB139D47EE8.jpeg

It's pretty clear the blue-shift has, indeed, been mitigated somewhat. That said, I never notice the blue shift since the overwhelming majority of the time I'm looking at my phone straight on. And even when I'm not ... who cares? And the awesomeness that is true black on the OLED? I'll never go back to an LCD screen.

As for the rest of the problems you've encountered, that's highly atypical. There are three X's in my immediate family, none of which have encountered any of the problems you've listed. Friends and coworkers raise that number significantly, and again, I haven't heard of any of them having to swap out their phones. I have to believe there's something about the environment your phones are in is contributing to this astounding failure rate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.