Switched

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by innerdude, Apr 22, 2013.

1. innerdude macrumors newbie

Hey guys...I finally pulled the trigger and got a Mac. Well, I bought a mini two years ago, but was not impressed with the performance. I tried again, and got a i7 2.3 GHz a few days ago. It really flies.

I am really impressed with how seamless everything is, but the Mac doesn't seem to like my Intellimouse (even with the drivers) as my side buttons work whenever they feel like it.

Also, the ordering of files in the Finder sort of bugs me. I am used to Folders first, then files and cannot seem to figure that one out in OSX.

All in all, this really seems like a great community and I can't wait to help others.

2. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

How did you install the drivers? I was having a problem with my Epson printer, installing from drivers from the Epson website. Spoke to a techie mate and he said to get the drivers off the apple website. It did the trick for me. Might be a universal bit of advice?

3. innerdude thread starter macrumors newbie

I just used the installer from Microsoft. Wierd, I have a Brother MFC and the Mac just installed it on its own, wonder why the Epson isn't as easy? Is it a recent printer?

4. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Bought it in January. Anyhow the Apple drivers did the trick. I was using it wirelessly which was the problem. It would work fine connected via USB but I needed it in another room. Works perfectly now.

5. star-affinity macrumors 6502a

star-affinity

I agree it's a bit strange this isn't an option (after all these years). But if you ”Sort by Kind” in the Finder it at least lists folders together.

It might also be an idea to get Path Finder which is cheap at the moment as part of a bundle from MacHeist.
    It lists the views with folders first (by default).

Or maybe you can try to get used to not having the folders on top?

Other options are: muCommander (free) and ForkLift ($20).
    There's also TotalFinder ($18) which integrates into the Finder, so there's a bigger risk for trouble I guess, but it's seem to work fine.

Anyway, good luck in your new computing environment. :)