Switcher confused about RAM usages

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by blurb23, Mar 15, 2008.

1. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

I recently bought my first Mac (specs in sig), and I'm a bit confused about RAM usages.

I read some of the threads around here, and know about the difference between Free, Wired, Active, Inactive, and Used RAM.

I also know that a Page Out is OSX sending a request to the HDD as opposed to the RAM due to a shortage.

I haven't been able to upgrade to 2GB (or 4) of RAM from the standard 1GB just yet, and I don't plan on it for at least another few weeks.

My question is, granted that, what is the expect number of Page Outs to be expect for running Safari, Adium, iTunes, and Simplify Media (application that allows you to share iTunes libraries with friends).

I'm currently looking at 1.29GB worth of Page Ins, and 767.53MB of Page Outs for about 9 hours of uptime. Is this OK, or am I having memory leaks somewhere that I need to be concerned with?

Edit: I'd also greatly appreciate it if someone could tell me what the "normal" temps for a 20" 2.0Ghz iMac would be. I bought it refurb'd (getting an MBP for college in June, figured I might as well get an iMac now so I wouldn't be completely new to OSX in college), so I'm a bit concerned. According to iStat Pro, the hottest part of it (the Airport Card) is at 65 degrees.

2. bbergie macrumors regular

bbergie

It sounds like you'd benefit from some extra Ram, and if I understand you correctly, you're going to do so in a few weeks.

Your page outs ideally should be 0 or really, really low relative to page ins. If you're recording a lot of page outs--which is seems like you're doing--then you're not realizing optimal performance from your system. When your computer writes page-outs, it slows it down and thrashes because page outs are not nearly as efficient as page ins, and consequently, most processes thrash and slow down.

3. onebloodonelife macrumors regular

That seems like quite a bit of page ins and outs. I'm currently at 373,482 page ins and 215,458 page outs for 26 hours of uptime, running Firefox with 13 tabs open, Transmission (torrent app with 65 active transfers), iTunes, Adium, Mail, iCal, Shakespeer (file sharing app), iScrobbler, Quicksilver, and other various smaller programs all at once. I do have 2GB of RAM in my Macbook though. It seems like your memory's getting overrun.

4. blurb23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hah, looks like I'm definitely going to have to upgrade to 2 gigs then.

Thanks guys.

5. MacFanBoyIIe macrumors 6502

Safari suffered (still suffers?) from memory leaks and required frequent restarts (completely killing the app and then relaunching). Anyone know if it still has this problem?