Switcher needs hardware help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Lause, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Lause macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Im not completely a new mac guy, as I had the black MacBook for 2 month before selling it again (its was computer nr. 3, and didnt have time to use it).

I am going to study in USA for 4,5 month come September (Im from Denmark) and Apple prices are a lot cheaper in USA than Denmark. So I have set my heart out for a MBP 15" i5 (the low end one) for some casual gaming, surfing, movies and school.

First off I think 4GB RAM will suffice, and I can change them myself if I need more. As for HDD I don't know what to do. I'm thinking about just getting stock HDD and then change it to a SDD - But will the guarantee fall if I change it my self? And if I don't wan't to change to SDD what HDD should I get from Apple then?

Then I'm gonna the Anti-Glare screen, as I have a friend that has the Glossy - and he recommends me the AG one.

As for software I'm thinking about getting Office for Mac, so I have the stuff I need. But could I get a better deal by going to a store to pick it up, compared to ordering it online?

Also gonna get the "free" printer and iPod - and Apple Care.

What about a time machine for back-ups? Would that be required?

Think thats it - Thank you so much, in advance, for your help!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Upgrading the hard drive does not void you warranty, Apple even provides instructions how to do it. I would just get the stock HD and eventually upgrade to SSD

As for Office for Mac, you can download the trial and try it before buying. Also, give a try for iWork and OpenOffice

3. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

For backup, Time Machine (software) is integrated to Mac OS X.
    If you thought Time Capsule it's not necessary at all for your needs. A value for money third party external HD will suffice. Choose a capacity about 2x the data you expect to have on your MBP.

4. Lause thread starter macrumors newbie

Nice that you can switch the HDD without breaking warranty. Then I'll just get the standard HDD and change it up when I have the money or see a good deal.

Yeah - I was talking about Time Capsule thing, and not Time Machine. I will get a "standard" wired external HDD and do it with that. I guess they are not as pricey as a Capsule. On a side note: What about transferring files from my old PC to mac?

On the screen - I'm not gonna do any video or picture editing, so I'm gonna stick with AG.

5. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

Mac OS X can read NTFS and read/write FAT32 (restriction being that it can't write files bigger than 4 GB) and also CD/DVD data.
    If the amount of data is not too big, I'd use a physical media to transfer.
    Otherwise, you need to use a network solution using file-sharing from your PC. I haven't tried it so I can't provide details.