switcher needs help connecting to internet

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stimpycat, Aug 28, 2007.

1. stimpycat macrumors regular

hi - came back from holiday and my mac pro is here and have spent the best part of today setting it up.

I tried to use my current pc modem (thompson speedtouch 330) as it was said that would work on OSX however after a few hours of frustrations it seems it isn't compatible with Intel Macs!

I am now in the process of trying to get it to work via a ZyXEL Prestige 660 ADSL router gateway thing but I have no idea what it does or what the heck I am supposed to do with it.

I have been through all the setup prompts in OSX and nothing happens - I assume I need a DSL connection

There is no help through the support section of Namesco so you guys are my only hope.

Thanks in advace

PS: if it helps here is my modem. I also seem to have airport and bluetooth if that helps - didn't order these but seems they came with it as the icons at the top of the screen say they are both on...

http://www.zyxel.com/web/product_family_detail.php?PC1indexflag=20040812093058&CategoryGroupNo=C8A3A230-907F-4CA8-9C3B-3A84F5A06405

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Do you have a DSL connection? You realize that that has to do with an internet account and nothing to do with the computer itself.

Also you usually need to register your login/password info on that router itself. There should have been instructions for turning on your internet account with your ISP (internet provider). Otherwise you should be able to go to SystemPrefernces>Network (look under the Apple Menu in top left of screen), select Ethernet and turn on DHCP.

Your request for help is pretty open ended so I'm not sure how much help we can provide. Get your ISP on the phone.

3. dangerfish macrumors 6502

The speedtouch you mention is a dsl modem so I am assuming you have dsl and were using it with you old pc. So you should know your username/password for your ISP. You dont need to connect it to the router but I would as it keeps your internet connection always active. So Telephone Line > DSL Modem > Ethernet from modem to Router > Ethernet from Router to Mac.
    You have to log into your router and input your username and password. Otherwise, you will never get online. Once you input that, the router gets the internet connection and passes it on to your Mac. You just need to go into System Preferences as Gimmeslack said and you should be good to go.

4. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

To answer you query, run an ethernet cable between the Mac and the router, then pop in the IP address (192.168.1.1) of the Router into the address bar in Safari. Follow the instructions through and you should be set.

I also had a thompson speedtouch 330, which has Intel Mac support “coming soon”.

That was in June 2006.

I tossed it a brought a Netgear instead.

5. stimpycat thread starter macrumors regular

many thanks for your help elppa - I am replying to this from my Mac Pro now!

:)

6. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Glad I could help.

Getting networks to work can be a right pain and the manuals are rarely useful.

Happy surfing, that's one powerful computer you have got there!