Switcher needs help - good *free* mac webdesign app?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by NikMac, Feb 5, 2009.

1. NikMac macrumors member

Hi everyone.

I got my first mac (a 2.4Ghz Macbook) in May. I've procrastinated on updating my websites until now, and it's very confusing :confused:.

I've made websites (allaboutgo.com, for example - I know the site doesn't look too great, in the process of redesigning) in Yahoo! Sitebuilder, and had few problems with that. Now I have a few questions about Macs...

1. Is it possible to import my html pages into iWeb? I'm assuming not (if there is a way, ignore all these questions :D).
    2. What's a good, ***free*** (I really don't want to dish out $400 for dreamweaver, which I don't like anyways) WYSIWYG editor for Macs? Basically, an iWeb/Yahoo Sitebuilder for macs which doesn't suck. Things I'd need are support for objects, scripts (google adsense, analytics), flash movies, javascript...
    3. If I was to use iWeb... does it allow for use of multiple websites? Editing multiple pages at once? Will publishing to MobileMe only give me one website, or can MobileMe host multiple sites? Hope that all makes sense :p.

I've tried RapidWeaver. My sites have so many pages I can't even use the demo... and as I said, I really don't want to have to pay for something when there's got to be a free alternative somewhere (and no, I don't want to use something like limewire to get a pirated app either).

I've also tried KompoZer (formerly "Nvu"?), but that doesn't support everything I need, lacks certain features, loads my pages incorrectly...

hmm. That's it. Thought I'd post more, I'll probably edit in questions as I think of them.

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Just use a text editor.

Smultron is very good and is also free.

3. NikMac thread starter macrumors member

-Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't know much about HTML, CSS, etc. - so no text editors for me. I need some sort of WYSIWYG app.

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

1.) Nope, iWeb can't import.
    2.) Free WYSIWYG, not really. KompoZer is it for the most part.
    3.) iWeb can do multiple sites, but takes a little extra effort. Search the forum and Google to find out how. Essentially it involves renaming the main file for the site.

RapidWeaver is like one of your best bets since you don't seem to want to learn how to actually code. The demo may have only let you do a couple pages, but that's why it's a demo. KompoZer may have had issues with your page, but that may have been because it was using bad code. You mentioned Yahoo SiteBuilder, and that creates junk code.

Unless you're willing to pay money or just use iWeb you're not going to find anything you're really happy with. You could always get a blog site.

5. NikMac thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your quick response. I suppose I'll try Rapidweaver and others some more before deciding. I agree with you about Sitebuilder's "junk code" - every time I wanted to update my site I would have to open the code in another program to "fix" things.

Will Rapidweaver support all the things I mentioned? My main concern is Google Adsense. I like how easily things like that integrate with iWeb. in KompoZer, none of my ad units appeared on the site. At least, they did, but were invisible or something :confused:.

EDIT: I've been looking around on Rapidweaver's website. Only concerns...
    -I can import my html files into Rapidweaver, right?
    -It said somewhere that all pages are created in CSS. I know a little HTML, but nothing about CSS - I'm assuming I'll still be able to play with all the little HTML things I use like metatags, etc.?

EDIT2: Okay. Rapidweaver looks awesome, but... it seems to be based on creating a website from scratch. I'll probably just keep using my PC until I find a better alternative. Maybe VMWare or something like that. Thanks for the help everyone ^^.

I could always just keep using Sitebuilder on my PC, but... argh! Talk about inconvenient :mad:.

Thanks.