Switcher needs PC directionals on number pad

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Stevee00, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Stevee00 macrumors newbie

Stevee00

Hello,

I got my first Apple ever a week ago after being a PC guy for 25 years. I won't ever look back, but I am having some problems getting used to my new iMac.

My biggest obstacle to iMac computing bliss so far is the fact that the number keys on the keyboard can't be used as directionals--arrows and page up/down. I do a lot of writing, and I have years of finger habits using these directionals for moving around, for macros I wrote in Word a long time ago and now use instinctively. I never use it as a number pad. Never.

I've searcher on this forum for help, on Google, using keywords like "keyboard mapping" and "PC number pad mac," But can't find the help I need. I also looked into adding shortcuts in system Preferences but that didn't work either.

I have my eyes on Keyboard Maestro as a possible solution--which is one of my questions. Is that the wonderful macro utility it claims to be, and will I be able to remap the number keys to be directionals.

What can I do to get the keyboard to conform to my ingrained habits. I'm willing to change my habits for most of the mac conventions, like Command and the strange delete keys. But I need those directionals.

I'm not a programmer, so please don't suggest scripts. I am good at following directions, though.

I have the 20" iMac and standard keyboard and mouse that came with it. I bought it new at the Apple store.

Thank you,

Steve

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I don't think you can map the original apple keyboard, since all apple products are designed in mind with simplicity. keyboard mapping isnt simple. try out the maestro, it should be mappable. why not just use the arrows for directionals?

3. Stevee00 thread starter macrumors newbie

Stevee00

Thanks for the information.

I can't use just the arrow keys because my speedy editing method involves tactile use of the arrows, home/end, delete, numpad enter, and page up/down keys. I rest my hand over the keys and do it all without looking, and in combination with left-hand commands.

I'll download Maestro and see what that does.

Is there such a thing as a mac-compatible keyboard that has the PC-style number pad?

Steve

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

mac-compatible? all keyboards with a usb or wireless usb dongle or bluetooth is 'mac-compatible". but i'm not sure if those keyboards allow the keys to be remapped... try logitech, they have great stuff.