Switcher one month in..

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by stimpycat, Sep 25, 2007.

1. stimpycat macrumors regular

For the benefit of all the PC dudes on this forum wanting to know of others experiences making the leap from XP to OSX I have just finished my first month of using a Mac and without doubt can recommend the switch.

I am a heavy business user (self employed graphic designer) and so rely on my computer for every aspect of my business and also for entertainment; I did anticipate installing XP via bootcamp or parallels, but as yet I haven't come accorss a single reason to install it, everything I need is on here or available in some other form.

The biggest problem I anticipated was losing Outlook, but the standard Mail application bundled with OSS and iCal works fine for my needs.

It's as if the operating system isn't there - it's just a matter of opening and using software that I want which makes the whole 'computer experience' so simple - I can't think of a better way to describe it other than simple.

Theres no going into folders, fixing bad shortcuts, updating your spywear / antivirus things every day, no popup alerts from the operating system, no beeps and tings saying to update something, no cluttered desktop or taskbar - it's simply a matter of what you want where you want it.

Seriously, it now feels like the software is the main thing on my computer, not the operating system.

Can't recommend it enough.

Hope that helps.

2. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

Well said. I've been looking for a way to describe the OSX experience. You've hit the nail on the head.

3. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Thanks for sharing stimpycat

As a graphic designer, what kept you from switching sooner? ;)

4. stimpycat thread starter macrumors regular

Few reasons - money mainly. I knew if I was to get a Mac I'd want a Mac Pro and if I got a Mac Pro I wouldn't want to stick my black dell monitor onto it so I'd also have to get an ACD :)

I also knew I would have to upgrade my CS2 to CS3 in order to get the Mac version which hurt the purse a bit too.

It didn't help that my other Mac experience was some years back in a design agency using OS9 - OSX is just utterly different!

5. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Well it is great that the switch worked out great for you.

Mac Pro + ACD + CS3. Why that is only slightly more expensive than a base dell with Gimp and other opensource programs:D.

6. stimpycat thread starter macrumors regular

Gimp? I am a pro user - open source is great and all but...:)

7. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

I'm a graphic designer for a magazine and freelance as well. I've used Adobe suites for years and have been on both mac and pc for years. Honestly, there is little difference in the applications on both pc and mac. I did a 64-page program solely on a Vista machine with Indesign. It was a good experience. But Indesign on the mac is just a little better. Things opening faster, smoother, etc.