Switcher: Questions/Comments

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by denizzziz13, Jul 2, 2008.

1. denizzziz13 macrumors member

I just got a white MacBook yesterday after using Dell PC's for as long as I can remember. I just have a few questions and comments: (yeah, I'm a noob...)

First, it's just a beautiful looking machine. IMO, the pictures on the Apple site make it look nice but really do it no justice after seeing one.

It came with a soft black thing that I think is a cloth but is it?

Is the battery meter on the top bar fairly accurate? Life if it says I have 1 hr 45 minutes left, can I count on that being correct?

Expose is awesome...as a matter of fact, the whole OS is just easy to use in general.

I downloaded iStat Pro and have in on the dashboard but I'm still trying to make sense of most of it...my biggest question is: What is an average temperature/range of temps. for those things to be at? At what temps should I be concerned?

Is there a keystroke or anything to just minimize all of the windows and sow the desktop?

2. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

1) It's for cleaning. Does a good job of it too.

2) It's been pretty accurate for me. Much better than the meter on vista or xp.

3) Someone else has to help you with that. I have a MacBook Pro so I'm not really sure, but mine runs around 45c-50c for web surfing and 65c-70c for video encoding.

4) FN + f11. You can actually give it corners on the screen if you want. Just take a look in system preferences-> expose & spaces. Look the top and make sure expose is blued out.

3. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

1. Microfiber cloth, to clean dust etc.

2. I find that my battery meter is very accurate.

3. I don't have a macbook so i can't tell you the temps, I have a MBP and it's sitting at 39C right now.

4. Not sure about the keystroke

Welcome to Mac! I'm a recent switcher, it's very addicting. (check out my sig line)

4. denizzziz13 thread starter macrumors member

The cloth...for the screen or the shell/casing or both?

5. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

My understanding is that it is primarily to clean the screen--I also use mine to clean my mouse--especially the tiny trackball.

6. brisweeney macrumors regular

brisweeney

cloth cleans all i think, its better for the outter case i find

my macbook is currently idling at 46c for the cpu and 51c for the airport card. i find these get the hottest, airport has gone up to 60 before then the fans kick in and go up to around 2500 rpm. its currently at 1780rpm.

istat is great, gives you a good idea of ram usage too.

welcome to the world of being addicted to :apple: products! my next purchase is a 20"imac!

7. logana macrumors 65816

logana

I think there is something wrong with iStatPro's airport card temperature sensor on recent MacBooks. I have a SR MacBook and the Airport card is far hotter than it used to measure on a Core Duo machine. THe Airport card temperature is often similar to the heatsink temp - and that makes no sense. At the moment it is reading 59C for the CPU and 69C for the Airport card.

iStatPro also used to give crazy readings for Heatsink B on 2GHz Core Duo machines - one minute it was 2C then the next it was 102C.

8. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Select the Help Menu while in the Finder and type "Calibrate Battery" follow the instructions. After that the battery meter will be very accurate. You can count on it to turn red when you are low and give you a warning in plenty of time to save your work.

9. patrickmacrumor macrumors regular

I have the current one model up from the base MacBook. My readings are not far from yours. Idle temperature is 56C for CPU and 71C for Airport card. Idle fan RPM is close to 1800.

My first MacBook (May 2006) idle CPU temperature was around 45C and the idle fan RPM was 1500.