Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

homesicksooner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2005
Dallas
I am thinking about buying my first Mac. I want a machine that will easily handle video and photo editing as a hobby. The price of the system is not a problem. I have had my eyes on the Power Mac for quite some time.

Will the video card affect the video editing process? I'd like to avoid purchasing GeForce 6800.

Where is the best place to buy 3rd party RAM?

Is it wise to purchase a Mac now with the switch to Intel forthcoming?

Anyone out there been unhappy with the Power Mac, or the 23" display?

Can a KVM switch be used with an iMac?

Thanks in advance for the responses.

ziwi

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Right back where I started...
Any current PM can meet your needs. I have a Rev B. DP 2.0 that does all of this fine using FCE for video editing, Photoshop CS2 for the photo side. And I have the crappy Nvidia card FX5600 or something.
The video card only comes into play if you are using Motion or After Effects, most other video and photo driven apps use the processors.

I added a second drive to the setup and RAM currently stands a 4.5GB. No issues with anything. It runs like a champ.

I purchased the RAM from http://www.datamem.com - as recommended by others on this site. Some also recommend Crucial - but with a higher starting price and tax for me DMS is the better buy.

Hope this helps...

P.S. As far as the Intel thing - if you need it buy it - the stuff you load on it today will handle your needs for a long time. plus the initial rumors are that the initial processors won't be much faster than what we have now - if you are concerned then get a refurb DP 2.0 or DP 1.8 and edit away....

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
homesicksooner said:
Can a KVM switch be used with an iMac?

Not sure about the video part, but it will certainly work for the keyboard and mouse. I suspect you could use it for video too, but you'll need to install a hack to allow the iMac to span (use both monitors for different images). And there's really no way to use your iMac's built-in monitor like an external monitor for another computer.

acedickson

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2004
ATL
I agree with Ziwi. Any of the PowerMac line will handle your needs. Any current Mac can handle your needs, really. Look for an Rev. A or B Dual 2.0 PowerMac. You can get them a little cheaper and they'll handle all your needs.

I always buy my RAM from Crucial. It has a memory selection system that matches your machineto the correct RAM.

camomac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2005
Left Coast
homesicksooner said:
Will the video card affect the video editing process? I'd like to avoid purchasing GeForce 6800.
Whats wrong with the 6800?

homesicksooner said:
Where is the best place to buy 3rd party RAM?
Not to be debbie downer or anything, but this question has been answered all over this forum.
Mac ships with crucial ram, which uses micron chips, which are very high quality. *suggested*

homesicksooner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2005
Dallas
Nothing is wrong with the 6800, I just don't want to have to use two of the expansion slots for it. Anyone have reason why I should reconsider?

I would also like input on which PM I should buy. The 2.0, 2.3, or 2.7?

camomac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2005
Left Coast
homesicksooner said:
Nothing is wrong with the 6800, I just don't want to have to use two of the expansion slots for it. Anyone have reason why I should reconsider?

I would also like input on which PM I should buy. The 2.0, 2.3, or 2.7?

okay, i see. then look toward the ATI x800, unless you plan on 2 30" monitors.

um personally i would go with the 2.3, and spend the difference on ram.

Why you may ask, well young jedi:

the 2.0, only expandable to 4gb of ram (unless you get the older rev.B)
the 2.7 NICE, but costly and well personally i just don't like water cooling.
the 2.3 good middle ground. expandable to 8gb and last of the air cooled G5's (for now).

but this is just my opinion. people have different schools of though, so talk to many people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.