switcher would love a replacement app for my lost love

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pupppet, Jan 7, 2010.

1. pupppet macrumors newbie

I've made the switch from Windows and would love a Mac app that behaved like Window's Folder Menu (http://foldermenu.sourceforge.net/). I fully realize I cannot, and should not expect to bring the whole Win experience with me but this app was just hella handy and I can't find anything similar on OS X. Folder Menu allowed you to generate a context menu (typically triggered by the middle mouse button) that could appear in Windows Explorer (Windows' version of Finder) or Open/Save Dialogs, and in this menu you could have predefined shortcuts to different folders. Selecting one of the shortcuts would jump you to that folder. I can see that launcher apps are dime a dozen on OS X, but there are some key differences with this app:

1. The context menu worked in both Windows Explorer and Open/Save dialogs

2. When a favorite folder is selected from the context menu, it opens this folder in the current window. Every launcher I've found on OS X simply spawns a new window for your shortcut. I find it more efficient to work in a single Finder window than opening and closing them left and right.

I know of Default Folder X for favorite folders, but it only works in Open/Save dialogs. I'm looking for a solution that works in Open/Save dialogs and Finder windows. It sounds like a rather peculiar, specific request, but I work with many files for my job and have found this app very efficient, and I believe other Mac users would find the same. Anybody know of anything that would fit the bill?

2. 1ofthedavids macrumors regular

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for, but it is pretty customizable. It basically extends your current context menu to include other things. It's a haxie called FruitMenu, but note it only works on 10.4 and 10.5 (you didn't mention what version of OS X you're on).

http://www.unsanity.com/haxies/fruitmenu

3. pupppet thread starter macrumors newbie

4. snberk103 macrumors 603

Two things....

1) You can drag folders to the sidebar of the Finder. This creates a shortcut to those folders. If you have Finder set (in preferences) to NOT open a new window, then it will simply change its view to that new folder. Regardless of how this preference is set, I think its possible to change the behaviour if you use a modifier key when clicking the folder in the sidebar (for that instance only.)

2) I've noticed that most new Mac users have not noticed the little triangle in the "Save" dialogue - I'm betting you haven't yet either. Apple has decided, in their infinite wisdom :rolleyes: - that the default "Save" dialogue should show you as little as possible. Anyway, open a "Save" dialogue (even "Save As" in Safari, so you can try it right now) and look for a triangle to the right of where you would put in a file name. If my hunch is right, you will then - miraculously - see a "Save" dialogue that looks like a Finder window, with you the folders you have dragged into the sidebar. You can now navigate and create folders to your heart's content.

I hope I have understood your issue properly, otherwise - oh well... I'm sorry I couldn't help.

Also, there are two places to find "recent items". One is hidden under the Apple icon in the menu bar. The other is in the Finder, under the "Go" item in the menu bar.

Good Luck.

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

It looks to me like you've nailed it. Good job explaining how the Finder works, and the features that can be overlooked by a new user.

To the OP: You have a very realistic and reasonable approach to learning a new OS. Often I see anger and bitter criticisms because it's not the same as (translation from not as good as) Windows. You'll get the hang of it and become just as productive as before because your attitude is pre-adjusted. ;)

6. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I found an article on using the Finder. It is especially helpful to switchers who are used to explorer. Read more...

The Finder is still my least favorite part of the OS and I've been using OS X since 2005 and exclusively (at home) since 2007. What I miss most is explorer's ability to show a folder hierarchy in its leftmost window while I examine a single folder in it's rightmost window. Finder comes closest to this with it's "column view".

If you find you can't make peace with Finder, it's not a big deal to find an alternative. I settled on Pathfinder, but I don't use it that often any more. I've grown accustomed to Finder and I would say I only launch Pathfinder once or twice a month.

7. snberk103 macrumors 603

Gonna look at that link.... I'm sure there'll be something there I don't know. Thanks.
    I don't have any real experience with Windows since 3.1, so perhaps this tip is a pale imitation of what you are looking for.... but. When you have a Finder window open, go to View in the Menu bar, and click on 'Show Path Bar'. Now when you a highlight an item in the Finder window its hierarchy will show in the Path Bar at the bottom of the Window. As well, if you double click on one of the icons above where you are currently are, the Finder will then go there. You can use the normal back/forward buttons then to navigate back.

But wait, there's more! If you have a folder or a document open (images and other things count as documents) you can either cmd or ctrl click on the icon that is in the title bar to also show the hierarchy and click on an icon to go to that level. Though that tip is listed in that helpful link you provided. I'm not sure what the difference is between cmd clicking and ctrl clicking on the title bar icon is, but perhaps someone else can chime in.
    Honestly, I'm now using Spotlight to go to where I want to go. The keyboard shortcut is so easy I just cmd spacebar and type where or what I want and my hands never leave the keyboard. Sometimes I forget where I have put things, and need to Spotlight them and then look at the hierarchy to see where it is (in case I'm looking for something that I know is nearby but can't recall the name of.)

Cheers

8. pupppet thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help folks. I was aware of creating shortcuts in the sidebar, but I have too many shortcuts to make use of this.

It's still somewhat disheartening to see how comparatively weak OS X is in manipulating files via a GUI as compared to Windows. For an OS that is so dev friendly this is a sore spot.

9. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Generally when people say that they prefer the way Windows does this or that compared to OS-X, they are really saying that they have adopted habits based upon how a particular OS works. This, of course, is perfectly fine

I used to keep every little thing in its own folder in OS-9. Under OS-X I find that I only need 2-3 subfolders in the Documents or Applications folder. I am not suggesting that you should change your work habits but why do you need so many folders?

10. azumafuji macrumors newbie

I wanted to mention that Default Folder X does work in the finder. When you open the disk image, there is an extras folder. In that folder there is an app named DFX. From the "Extras Read Me": "The "DFX" application is a small AppleScript that will display Default Folder X's menu (the same one that appears in the menu bar) whenever you click on the icon in the toolbar." I was looking for functionality similar to what you mentioned above and found this a few weeks ago when I upgraded to the latest release.

You can also access Default Folder X from the menu bar or the dock by setting the appropriate preferences. I use the menubar access all the time to get to favorite or recent folders.

The only thing it doesn't do is change the location of the finder window to the one selected. It opens a new window. I don't like this behavior either.

11. pupppet thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah nice I wasn't aware this app worked in Finder. If it could just reuse the current Finder window it'd be near perfect.

I have a feeling I'll need a custom AppleScript solution but haven't had luck in finding scripting that acts on both the current app's window and dialog.